chapter six

Chapter Six: Down and Dirty

Edith was standing in the middle of a clearing in the woods, with Rosalie at her side. She was joking with Rose who was bored, waiting for the pack coming; they had agreed to come to train to attack and kill the newborns.

Edith hadn't seen her mate since the unfortunate events of the graduation party, it was almost as if he didn't exist as the awkward topic refused to be brought up within the Cullen household,the family didn't know how to act, they tiptoed around her as if one word and she would combust into flames and rage.

She didn't want to take part in training but Esme had forced her to come; she knew that Edith had experience but she wanted her to take part to show her strength.

She heard growling and saw the pack dark in the trees, glowing eyes and colourful fur. She spotted Embry right away in his wolf, she automatically felt the pull towards him and clenched her jaw. She wasn't exactly pleased that he was taking part which causes the stubborn side of Edith to come outwhich had caused her not to reach out to him at all.

He had gray fur with black spots and he was sleeker than the other pack members and, his snout was dark gray, which made it easier to notice him. He was magnificent; he was beautiful in both human and wolf form.

"They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms." Edward sneered.

"They came, that's what matters. Will you translate?" Carlisle told Edward as he looked at Edith and smiled.

She was hurt and angry - that was the emotional connection of having a mate; she didn't want to see him get hurt. Although, she knew she would focus on saving him more than Bella if he didn't fight along side them which was a given.

Carlisle looked at the pack and started to talk,

"Welcome, Jasper has experience with the newborns, he can teach us how to defeat them. Edith has experience with the Volturi. She was one of their prized possessions for many years."

"I would listen to what we have to say unless you want to be ripped apart by vampires." Edith huffed as she glared at her natural born enemies.

"They wanna know how the newborns differ from us." Edward read their mind and replied with the answer.

"They're a great deal stronger than us because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful than in our first several months of this life." Carlisle told the pack.

"A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army. But no human army can stand against them. Now the two most important things to remember are; first never let them get their arms around you, they'll crush you instantly. The second, never go for the obvious kill, they'll be expecting that and you will lose." Jasper said in a lowered voice.

"The bite of a vampire can sever the limbs of their opponents, this is because we are known for having extremely sharp and strong teeth. We don't possess fangs but our teeth are unbreakable and razor sharp. They are incredibly strong, able to bite through almost any solid substance. Our teeth are also venomous, affected by the vampire venom that flows in their mouths. Remember, a vampire's greatest weapon is their teeth. Don't be fooled because you will loose. Newborns won't have all abilities because if they do have a special ability, they usually don't understand what it is yet." Edith thought back to the days where she had ripped newborn armies to shreds, she had loved to be in amongst the fighting when she was a young vampire.