chapter seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: Joined Forces

Edith sat outside, looking at the clouds in the sky, wondering what her future with Embry would hold.

There was no future, she knew that. She wasn't stupid or naive. There were simply no words to describe how she was feeling and she didn't want her family to find out.

She once asked God for crimson skies and adventure and she found her crimson sky. He was her flame and desire and not a day went by without Edith not thanking God for her soulmate.  How she loved everything about him, even his loyalty to his pack. She adored that. If she could blush, she would every time that he would smirk, she felt butterflies in her stomach and she swooned over him.

She was caught off guard when Jacob and Seth came walking down the dirt hill.

"How cool is this? Two-man pack. Two against the world." Seth gushed and Edith smiled at the young wolf.

"You're getting on my nerves, Seth."

"I'll shut up. Can do." He said as he jumped on the grass and smiled at his best pale face friend. Jacob and Seth approached Edith and Edward who was standing outside the Cullen house.

"Get ready. They're coming for Bella." Jacob said and Edith rolled her eyes

"They're not gonna touch her." The siblings sneered at the thought of Bella getting hurt; Edith, mostly because of the unborn baby.

"I'll die before I let them touch her, I'll kill them if they try to attack us." Edith cracked her knuckles as she stood up.

"You think you could kill your own mate, Edith?" Jacob mocked me.

"Embry isn't my mate anymore and you should know that by now." She retaliated, Edward looked at his sister with utter confusion as her declaration.

"I'm sorry, Edith, I didn't know what he had done or I would have talked sense into him." Seth informed .

Leah turned up, being her usual sarcastic self which didn't surprise Edith but what did surprise her was the fact that she was standing on Cullen territory, begging for Jacob to let her stay with the two man pack. She didn't want Seth to die but Edith knew that it was mostly because of Sam, after all, she was madly in love with him. Edith felt sorry for the young werewolf, she now knew how Leah was feeling every second of every day and it was painful.

She didn't know what she would do if Embry actually would fight against the Cullen's to kill an innocent child, it sent a shiver down Edith's spine as she had a vision of the wolves kill Bella and the child.

"I can't trust you with the Cullens. You hate them too much. You don't even like me. Look, Seth doesn't want you here. Neither do I." Jacob said to Leah and Edith frowned at his tone.

"I don't have to. I just have to follow you. Being unwanted isn't exactly a new thing for me. Look, I'll stay out of your way. I'll do whatever you want, except go back to Sam's pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can't get away from. You don't know how many times I wished I could imprint on someone. Anyone. Just to break the connection." She ranted and made her point.

"All right. I'm gonna do a perimeter run." Jacob shook his head, in agreement.

Leah and Seth sat outside, watching for anything that could be a sign of the pack. Edith stood up and guarded as well, "Are you and Embry together?"

Edith turned around at the sound of Seth's voice, "No, Seth but I'll be fine. I've got tough skin, right."

Edith went inside to make the wolves some sandwiches, knowing that they are constantly hungry. She was in the kitchen when Edward suddenly approached her.

"I read your mind." He stated.

"Then you'll know." She simply relied, not wanting to go into detail.

"I'm sorry, Edith. You have no idea how sorry I am."

"Hey, listen. It was him that wasn't faithful to me." She said, going back to finish making food and the whole Cullen family had heard.