3 | flipping and teasing

Dedicated to my No. 1 fangirl
(as she claims to be),
Sharminhi - for the ridiculous amount of belief and faith she has on me and my writing
{ Amy_Chan10 }

 1 fangirl(as she claims to be), Sharminhi - for the ridiculous amount of belief and faith she has on me and my writing { Amy_Chan10 }

"I told you, guys. We should have bought the tickets online."

Three heads turned to look at me.

"Okay. Maybe I didn't. But now I'm saying it. We should have bought the tickets online," I said, turning away from their laser-shooting eyes.

"It doesn't matter. We could watch the movie when they play it on TV. In my opinion, ice skating is more fun," Anne said, already tying her thick black hair into a messy bun.

Whenever I attempt to do that with my hair, my mum says I look like a well-dressed hobo.

Brooke grabbed my arm and clung onto it, her chewed up nails digging into my skin. "But I was looking forward to Luce and Daniel's first meeting," she wailed.

"I don't get what the commotion is about. They meet in a library. He smiles at her. Then when she was going to do the same, he flipped her off. I could do that to anyone too," Anne said. She placed her fingers between her lips and whistled.

A brown-haired, white boy who was a few people in front of us in the queue turned around and looked at her.

She smile angelicly then raised her right arm and flipped him her favourite finger.

Celeste pulled Anne's arm down but it was too late. He already saw it.

His eyes widened but he didn't flip her back or even come over and swing a punch at her. Instead, he smiled good-naturedly, put his hands in his pocket and turned in front again.

Anne did not have the slightest look of regret at showing an inappropriate gesture at a stranger. She shrugged. "I guess that's how people say 'hi' to him. He didn't even seem bothered by it."

Celeste doubled over and laughed like she always does when Anne does something Anne-like. Brooke, on the other hand, seemed mortified.

"Anne! That happened to be a very cute guy. Why couldn't you have chosen a less good looking, Malaysian guy to victimise?" Brooke exclaimed.

"Let's just hope he wasn't offended," I said, trying to stiffle my laughter.

Suddenly, someone grabbed my shoulder and shoved me ever so slightly forward. I tripped and fell on Celeste, who caught me before my face kissed the floor.

The sound of teenage girls laughing rang in my ears. I stood up and dusted invisible dust of my black skirt and lace blouse. I turned around to see Preeti with her hand over her mouth, laughing and apologising at the same time.

Preetika had an understated beauty about her, perhaps it was because she was disarmingly unaware of her prettiness. Her cocoa skin was nearly flawless, void of any makeup. She was all about simplicity and making people around her happy. Or occasionally, shock them out of their wits.

Tania with her wild, dark hair, was right behind her cousin was biting her lip, clearly trying not to laugh.

"I'm glad to see I have resumed my usual position as the group clown," I said, grimacing.

Preeti stopped laughing and bear-hugged me. "Sorry, darling. I didn't mean to scare you."

Just about then, Preeti's phone rang. She let go off me and fished her phone out of her pocket.

"I wonder who is it," Celeste said, grinning.

Preeti rolled her eyes but her smile gave her away. She answered the call and turned around. She flashed an apologetic smile and moved away from us, but not before we heard her say, "Hey..." with a drawl she only uses when she's talking with that certain someone.

The rest of us burst out giggling loudly, earning more than a couple of dirty looks our way.

Brooke then said, "Preeti and Simon sitting on a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" in a singsong voice.

Preeti left her beloved hanging on the phone just long enough to turn back at us and yell, "How old are you? Four?"

"One of us is," Anne said, tugging the end of my ponytail.

"I happen to be a very matured 16-year-old," I said, jutting my chin out.

"You happen to be a 16-year-old who was born on 29th February," Tania said, smiling her usual wide smile which showcases all her crooked yet adorable teeth.

I shook my head despite the huge grin on my face. I turned around to see Preeti whispering into her phone, a blush creeping up into her cheeks. Her fingers twirled strands of her straightened hair as she giggled at something her boyfriend said, oblivious to the teasing centered around her.

I felt a slight twinge in my heart. They had a beautiful relationship. A romantic relationship.

I would never be lucky enough to have someone who would call to check on me every hour or so, tell me that he loves me every night before he goes to sleep or someone who would carry me into his lap and kiss me in the darkness of a movie theatre.

If only I was lucky enough.