4 | skates and smiles

Dedicated to the person I would form a covalent bond with if I was an element,
Ganesvini - for giving me a cute nickname and for that you shall forever call me 'papaya'

Dedicated to the person I would form a covalent bond with if I was an element,Ganesvini - for giving me a cute nickname and for that you shall forever call me 'papaya'

Being in a cold area with no extra layer of clothing to preserve your body heat is unpleasant. Your backside getting more frozen by each second is even more unpleasant.

Trust me when I say I did not choose to sit on the ice of the ice rink. My feet seemed to have a misunderstanding with then ice beneath them and they refuse to stand on them.

I was sitting at the edge of the rink, waiting for a friend to help me up as I was simply too embarrassed to ask for anyone else's help. Even toddlers could skate like professional and here I was, trying to make snowballs out of the ice stuck at the blades of my skates.

A hand shot out in front of my face, making me flinch. I looked up at the stranger kind enough to help me despite the fact that I possibly looked like a demented overgrown child with a fascination for frozen crystals from rented skates.

The first thing I noticed about him was his eyes. If you wanted to be boring and cliché, you could say they were green. Grass green, emerald green or whatever other one word descriptors people tend to use. If you asked me though, I would say his eyes were the kind of green that pushes through the cold, gritty snow when spring was coming or they shared the same colour of the forest after it rains.

He smiled at me, dimples showing, and said, "Need help?" in a smooth, honeyed voice.

My palms were sweaty and clammy like they always were due to my medical condition of palmar hyperhidrosis and my heart was beating fast like they always do when a good looking guy merely glances at me. For him to have his full attention on me was unnerving.

Besides, he seemed oddly familiar...

"It's okay. It's not like I fell or something," I said awkwardly, praying that I was a good enough liar. "I'm just tired. I'll just wait for my friend to come by."

"Oh," he said, withdrawing his hand. "The middle-finger girl?"

I studied his tousled brown hair and realised he was Anne's recent victim. No wonder he seemed familiar!

I chuckled nervously. "Yeah." I wanted to tell him I had other friends too but I was afraid if I talked too much, I might say something I was going to regret.

He skated backwards a little, then put his hands in his pockets. "Well then. I'll go then." He flashed another heart-fluttering smile before skating away.

I sighed, my heart already returning to its original pace. I tried looking for him but my eyes couldn't keep track of him among the hundreds of skaters in the rink.

I spent the next 20 minutes on the ice, contemplating the exact colour of his eyes which were unusual among the dark eyes most people in this country has. Suddenly, someone crouched in front of me. I looked up sharply to see those exact eyes looking directly into mine.

"Need help now?" he asked, giving me his hand again.

I would be a fool not to accept his help now, so I did. I wobbled as I stood up, one hand in his hand and another firmly grasping the metal handrail around the perimeter of the rink. I was just hoping that my sweaty palm wouldn't bother him too much. I smiled at him and thanked him. My voice shaky, thanks to the physical contact between my skin and his.

When I let go of his hand, he nodded and smiled at me yet again before skating away, elegantly and quite flawlessly.

Waddling around the edge, I found Preeti crouching at a spot directly opposite from the place I had spent thirty minutes freezing my butt off. I could have seen her if it wasn't for the crowd in between us.

"And what do we have here?" I asked as soon as I was within hearing proximity of Preeti.

She looked up and said, "A pathetic girl who gave up after falling down thirty times within 45 minutes of being in the rink."

"Then it was useless waiting for you to come to my rescue. Though I was lucky enough to have a handsome stranger whom I would probably never see again help me up," I said, smiling as the memory of his sweet smile sprung to my mind.