11 | stories and sanctuaries

Dedicated to the first boy who called me beautiful

The lights were twinkling with every step we took as Stefan spun me around in delicate circles, my green dress billowing out

The lights were twinkling with every step we took as Stefan spun me around in delicate circles, my green dress billowing out. The pressure of his warm, sturdy hand on my back and the feeling of my usually clumsy feet gliding gracefully on the dance floor made it all seem like a dream. His heady, musky mint scent wasn't helping either.

Occasionally I had to close my eyes and remind myself that this was really happening. I was really here, at prom, dancing with the person I am probably in love with regardless of the fact that he is partially a stranger to me.

He squeezed the hand he was holding, making me look at him. "What's wrong?" he whispered.

I shook my head. "Nothing. It's just...this is how I envisioned my perfect prom to be like."

I took another deep breath and closed my eyes again. I felt Stefan's forehead against mine, his breath that smelled of mint fanned against my face. "Sei così, così bella questa sera, cuore mio."

I laughed. "I know I've told you I speak Italian but what I really meant is that I know a few words. I would need a translator to interpret what you just said."

"Nothing important," he said, moving away. He spun me around again before pulling me back to him. "Though there is something important I want to talk to you about."

I had to crane my neck to look into his eyes because he was so bloody tall. "What is it?"

"I know you don't want to talk about SPM-"

I interrupted him. "We are not talking about that until the day the results come out when I can actually start to freak out."

"Snowflake," he started, rubbing my arms with his hands.

"I'm not cold," I said, laughing.

"I know. Sorry," he said, taking his hands away. "Look, I know you applied into a bunch of colleges. I know the one college you do want to attend is Cambridge. You said it yourself that it's hard to get a scholarship even with good results."

"Stefan," I said his name like a sigh. "I don't want to talk about that right now."

"No," he shook his head. "My dad said he could help you out. If you get good results, and I know you would, my dad would get you a scholarship."

"I can't let him do that. Why would he anyways?" Before Stefan could say anything, I continued. "Let me guess? He knows how you feel about me?" I remembered him mentioning that a few months ago but never got to ask him more about it.

"Well, yes. Everyone does," he said, softly. He traced the braid on the side of my head lightly with a finger then looked at me, his green eyes focusing entirely on me. "Except you."

I shivered. I couldn't think straight. I had to get away from his intoxicating scent of musk and mint as well as his compelling green eyes.

I moved away from him, making his hands fall to his sides. "I'm thirsty. I'm gonna get a drink. Feel free to dance with someone else. I can't be greedy and keep you all to myself all night," I said, gesturing at all the girls standing in the corner where I was standing earlier.

Before he could respond, I walked away. I found myself being drawn back to food. That's just how I am. Whether I'm upset, depressed or confused, food is my sanctuary.

As I take a bite of the sandwich, Celeste appeared next to me, looking stunning as usual. She grinned and asked me, "So what's the story between you and the hot white boy?"

"It's a short story titled 'Nothing Interesting That Is Worth Your Time'," I said with a coy smile.

"That's a helluva long title," Anne said. I didn't even notice she was standing there in the first place. When I did, I saw Brooke in a black dress watching me like a hawk a few metres away.

Stefan materialised out of things air (not literally) and said, "I would love to read that book."

I smacked his arm playfully. Celeste narrowed her eyes and Anne smirked.

Stefan turned towards my friends who were currently giving him appreciative glances. I didn't even realise how good he looked.

His brown hair was dishevelled but I liked it the way it was. He was wearing a tuxedo that got me thinking of a reason to see him in it everyday.

Stefan then held out his hand to Celeste. "I'm Stefan. And you are?"

"Celeste Ho. Akansha's personal matchmaker. Though in this case, she didn't quite need me," she said, grinning.

Brooke winked and him, startling him.

When he recovered from the temporary shock, Stefan laughed then turned to Anne who simply said, "I don't shake hands." She flashed her middle finger and took hold of Celeste's arm. "Let's go, Cupid. These lovebirds need some privacy." Then they both disappeared into the crowd.

Stefan smiled. "You guys are a group of misfits, aren't you all?"

I laughed but stopped when Stefan held my hand.

He drew circles on the back of my hand as he said, "Did I say anything to offend you earlier?"

I pulled my hand away. Not because I didn't like the way my hand felt in his. Simply because my mouth was so dry I knew I wouldn't be able to say the things that I wanted to.

"Stefan," I started, my mouth still feeling like someone had rubbed sandpaper all around the inside. "I'm glad that your dad is willing to do this for me. If  I get the results I need to get to be accepted into Cambridge, I would accept your father's offer."

Stefan smiled so widely, I thought his lips might split. "Fantastico."

He leaned forward and gave me a kiss on the forehead. "By the way," he murmured, lips still on my forehead. "Green really brings out your beautiful eyes."

I smiled at my private joke. I only bought this dress because it was the exact shade of green as his eyes.