13 | in-laws and palm readers

Dedicated to my Wattpad 'rakan sebaya',
Fury - for inspiring me to write a short story of my own
despite the fact that mine would never be as fury-ous as his are
{ officialfuryevans | jaguahr }

Dedicated to my Wattpad 'rakan sebaya',Fury - for inspiring me to write a short story of my owndespite the fact that mine would never be as fury-ous as his are{ officialfuryevans | jaguahr }

Stefan ran his hand through my hair, his fingers tangling and detangling them. It calmed me down and I know it had the same effect on him too. His heartbeat was steady and loud in my ear.

"I have a feeling you haven't decided what you are going to wear on Friday," I said, breaking the silence. I sat up and looked over my shoulder to see my boyfriend of two years lying on his back. One of his arm was being used as a cushion for his head, so a strip of bare stomach could be seen. I averted my eyes and concentrated on my clasped hands.

"Only women care about clothes. It's not like anyone could see what I'm wearing underneath the graduation gown," he said. "I could be naked and no one would know. Maybe I should be," he added wistfully.

"No way." I grabbed a pillow Stefan had tossed onto the floor to make room for both of us to fit on my small single bed and hit him with it lightly. "We should go out to get you something nice to wear. Or anything, just so that you actually wear something."

"You just need an excuse to go shopping. We can go, Snowflake, but just so that you can get a pretty dress for yourself," Stefan said, pulling me back towards him.

I laid on his chest and wounded my fingers with his. "I'm not the one who's graduating, Stef. I still have a good two years."

"True but you would want to dress up well to meet my dad for the first time."

I froze. "Your dad?"

I felt Stefan move underneath me as if he was suddenly uncomfortable.

"I mean, what about your mum and sister?" I quickly said.

He stopped fidgeting and laughed silently. "They couldn't get a flight in time but they will be joining us for dinner later."

"Us?" I sat up again, though this time I didn't look at him.

"Well, yeah," he said. He pushed himself against the bed frame and sat up. "They want to meet you, Snowflake. Until today, you have only been a faceless girl who I've been talking about for four years in their minds."

I sighed. "I'm just worried they wouldn't like me. Every girl worries about making a good impression on her boyfriend's parents."

He laughed softly and kissed my hand. "You are a hard person to dislike and people can't help but love you. You have nothing to worry about. Besides, they could very well be your in-laws," he said, dragging the last word a little.

It wasn't entirely true but I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Despite that, there was a nagging feeling when I heard the word in-laws. Not that I wouldn't want to marry him (not that I should now), my mind was uneasy like there was something about that should bother me. I ignored it and asked, "Is that why you love me? Simply because you couldn't help yourself from doing so?"

"I don't know why but I do know when I fell for you, I fell hard. If I could feel the physical pain of falling for you, my nose would have needed a reconstruction surgery."

"How flattering," I said, laughing.

"Well, you deserve to be flattered. By the way, your future father-in-law works in the college you're studying in but you have never crossed paths with him?"

The chill coming through the open window seeped into my bones at that word.

Father-in-law.

The thing my mind was struggling to remember suddenly managed to fight its way through the fog Stefan's presence presented.

It is written in her stars that she would be rich, she would be successful. All her dreams; she has it in her grasp. But alas, there is one family relation she is not lucky to have, that is a father-in-law.

No. I can't believe I didn't remember that. I've been told that so many times by so many palm readers that I started seeing it as a joke. When my friends try to matchmake me with another guy during my high school years, I would say, "I don't want his poor dad to die just because I fell in love with him!" Then we would laugh at that harmless joke.

It didn't seem harmless now.

Her true love will simply have lost his father to death at a young age or will have to lose him to love when he decides eros is more important than storge.

"Akansha?"

Stefan's voice cut like a blade through my treacherous thoughts. My body was numb and my head felt like I had just taken it out of the freezer.

"Are you all right?" Stefan asked. "You seemed...lost it thought." He touched my arm gently but I yanked it away. His touch that usually felt so warm and comforting suddenly felt like poison seeping through my skin.

"I'm fine," I replied icily. At the sight of the poorly disguised hurt on his face, I added softly, "I'm not feeling too well. Can we postpone our shopping trip to some other day?"

His face softened. "Why didn't you just say so? I would have let you take rest. Do you want me to stay?"

"No," I answered a little too quickly. "Don't you have to go to the party your friend is holding?"

He looked at me silently, his green eyes standing out in the dimly lit room. "Very well then. Take good rest, Snowflake," he said softly. He gave me a quick peck on my cheek then left me sitting alone in the room.