How To Introduce A Character Properly

It can always be a struggle to find the right words to introduce a new character into a book. How much do you say? How much description do you use? What's the best way to integrate them into the plot?

My rule of thumb is that when introducing a new character you need to do some important things (obviously this isn't set in stone because in some stories this advice won't work).

1. Name them and a give brief description of them. This means that the reader will be able to visualise the new character, which will help the character sink into their brains.
2. Introduce them in a way that the reader will remember them. If the character is very important to the plot, make sure that their entrance into the book is memorable. Use intense action scenes, dramatic scenes- don't just have the main character bump into them on the street.

When introducing any new character you've got to plan their importance in the book and how prevalent they will be, this can help you determine how much of a 'deal' you make over their entrance and introduction into the book. If the character is important to the plot, make their introduction as memorable as you can. If they aren't massively important, you don't need to worry about going into huge detail about them.

First impressions count, readers will make snap judgements about characters.

Comment any more of your Wattpad related questions!