How To Write A Gore Scene

Gory scenes can be difficult to make believable and non-cliche to some writers (myself included) and gore itself can be tricky to write if you're faint hearted. But my main advice would be to keep things simple, focus in on one event and describe it fully. Especially focus on not just actions but also thoughts and emotions that occur as a result of those actions.

Gore scenes are intense, so remember to have a fast pace and interesting vocabulary to keep the readers feeling intensity they need to. Stay clear of cliché phrases that usually crop up in gore scenes like 'my life flashed before my eyes' or ' a fountain of blood' and all those kind of phrases as they detract from the serious and intense situation.

Don't go overboard with the description however as the the reader may feel as though you're dragging out the event, but provide enough information for the reader to picture what is going on.

Use comparisons in your description so the reader can imagine what is happening even more. I doubt many of your readers have ever stabbed someone or slit someone's throat, so to help them immerse themselves in the scene compare it to 'slicing open a peach' or sometimes mundane and universally known.