Nine

As we both stood there, having a staring contest, Sam broke it, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Who are you and how do you know me?" He asks me in a dominant tone and I just smirk. Used to hearing this from both the Winchester boys that I had grown to know.

"Kate. Your brothers girlfriend so, I think that would explain why and how I know you." I answer simply, this just made him more mad. But his gaze landed on his brother who was checking out his girlfriend and I just rolled my eyes.

Despite being with him for the past 2 years, I thought that would break his horrible addiction of sleeping with every beautiful woman he saw, his dad did too but, no matter how hard we both tried (even fighting for days at a time) we just weren't able to so, I grew accustomed to it and dealt with it. 

"Dean, what are you doing here?" Sam ends up asking after pulling his now uncomfortable girlfriend into his side. Dean being Dean must've said something. As he usually does. Probably a crappy and cliche pick up line. 

"Dad hasn't been home in a few days." Dean replies simply, like me and I sigh. 

"So? I'm sure he's fine."

"Fine. We'll try that again. Dad's on a hunting trip. And he hasn't been home in a few days." Dean explains a little more and Sam's face drops, all colour draining from his face. This makes him excuse us from his girlfriend and we end up walking outside via the fire exit. The brothers end up fighting and I sigh.

"Dean, when I was 9 and thought there was a monster in my closet he gave me a 45!" Sam exclaims and I smile, impressed by John's techniques.

"What was he supposed to do? Say don't be afraid of the dark? Dude, of course you should be afraid of the dark. You know what's out there!" Dean argues back.

"Exactly! I mean, if I could've shot a gun at the age of 9, I wouldn't have had such a crappy life."

"No. No! He WAS supposed to say don't be afraid." Sam argues back but, Dean ends up scoffing and walking out the gate of the fire exit and walking to the Impala which was shining in the night, the moon light reflecting off of the black exterior.

"Dean! Dad is always missing and he's always fine! What's the big problem this time?" Sam asks, getting angrier with every simple answer. I sigh.

"Sam, look, yes I don't know you. I get that but, yesterday-" I pop open the hood of the Impala and pull out a voice recorder. "-we got this." He looks at confused as to what the big deal was.

I play it to help him and it plays John's voice. Then it finishes with the screams of a woman, then static. I stop it and look to Sam who was as shocked as what we were when we first came across it.

"There's EVP on that." He points out and Dean smiles, happy that his little brother could detect something like that. It didn't take a genius to know that Sam did most of the research in the time of his hunting.

"That's right so, we slowed it down and we got this." 

Halfway the woman's voice that gave me chills came through with the words "I can never go home" then screaming and John's voice is heard and then static, signalling the end of the recording. 

"I can never go home. What the hell does that mean?"

"No idea. That's why we need you to help figure that out. Dad's not answering his phone." Dean says, closing the trunk of the impala.

"Weren't you with dad?"

"No. I was on a hunt."

"Wait. Dad let you go on a hunt? Alone?" I smirk, hiding with a curtain of hair. I could see Dean through it though and I could tell he was trying not to smirk.

"I'm 26 dude and yes. I was in New Orleans." 

"Sam, look, I know I don't know you but, I know you're a great hunter because you're related to your father and Dean so, could you please help us." I plead and he sighs but not in defeat.

"I have an interview on Monday. I have to be here." He says and I frown. I once went to Stanford and when you have an interview here, it means that you had a really good score in your test and you could have an amazing education for the career path you want.

"A job interview? Skip it." Dean says simply and I sigh in annoyance. Allowing Sam to answer this.

"No Dean. A college interview. Its on Monday and I have to be here."

"He's right Dean. Those opportunities don't come around often." I say and at this, Sam is shocked.

After a little more convincing, Sam finally relents, with the condition of getting him back here by Monday.