Chapter 1

Gray.

White.

Black.

The paint speckled my skin and hair like snow falling from a dull sky. The only difference being, the dull sky was my skin and I found no beauty within the dark colored snowflakes falling upon me.

I hummed a song quietly to myself while the brush in my hand swayed back and forth, up and down. I wasn't sure what I was painting, but as usual I never do until my mind zones itself back into reality and it's as if I take a first look at a present on Christmas Day.

The dark colors on the canvas mixed beautifully together. I've always been connected to the feeling of getting lost within your art and being able to create unique and visionary pieces.

I sat in the back of the classroom, minding my own business and keeping to myself. The room was loud and obnoxious, but I'm used to the loud and erotic atmosphere from living in the pack house since I was 10.

I focused on my humming. Focusing on one thing allows me to focus on many things at a time. It's how my mind has always worked. Some pack members around me focused on their art pieces while tuning into my humming. I guess they can say it helps them focus also.

"Carter, look what I drew!" I snapped my head up, accidentally spilling my cup of black paint all over my canvas. I glared at my irritating best friend, Logan. She held up a canvas of two stick figures standing next to each other underneath a rainbow while idiotically smiling like a lunatic.

"It's us, isn't it beautiful!" she pretended to wipe away a tear to which I broke a smile and said, "it's so ugly it made you cry not even looking at it."

Laughing at her shocked expression, I began cleaning up the mess she caused from me spilling my paint all over.

Logan and I have been friends since we were pups. My father was the Alpha and her father was Beta, so we grew up together and were always inseparable. She's been there for me through everything, as have I.

The bell rang, causing the hungry wolves to disappear in a flash, leaving the whole room with all but 3 people. I looked around and breathed a sigh of relief that Logan had stayed behind.

"Hey, so I was thinking we leave for lunch. Go to that new place in town? I heard they have good burgers. Burgers anywhere are good but I heard this new place has ones that are to die for. What do you say? Come on I'll drive, are you coming?" Logan rambled on as I continued cleaning up the paint she spilled.

"Uh yeah, we can go just give me a few"

"No Carter, we have to go now so we're back in time for class," She began pulling my arm, almost dragging me out the door. A low growl emits from within and she lets go immediately. "Okay what crawled up your ass and died because I can assure you, a burger will help," she smiles, holding in a laugh.

I shook my head and sighed, "Nothing, just-",

"Don't like mess. Yeah yeah yeah, hey Mr. P? You got this? We'll be back later to clean this up," Logan offered our Art teacher Mr. Peters, a smile while dragging me out of the classroom.

We began walking down the hallway towards the front entrance doors.

"Hope you know we're not cleaning that up."

——————————-

"I do have to say, those were some pretty good burgers."

"See I told you, but Ms. Pissy Pants was too worried about the paint to want to listen to me," Logan mockingly said. I shot her a glare and rubbed a hand on my stomach.

To be full was an understatement. To have a food coma or a food baby would be way more believable.

"Car, you have paint all over you. In your hair, on your arms and all over your clothes"

"Oh Lo, well who's fault could that be? I wonder," I shot her a glare, "I'm thinking about skipping the rest of the day, I'm going home. See how Dad is, she how Casey's doing with everything", I lied hoping she'd believe me.

She nodded her head knowingly. She offered to walk home with me but I declined and told her I was fine. "Love you Carter, don't forget that." I hugged her goodbye outside of the newly owned diner.

"Love you too Lolo."

She began walking back to school, I on the other hand, walked straight to the woods.

I continued walking deeper into the congested green forest, until I was sure no one could see me. I found a tree and stripped behind it, folding my clothes on the ground down near the roots.

After moving to where I had room, I closed my eyes and let my wolf take over. Within seconds, the familiar cracking of bones and feeling of fur took over my entire being.

Hello Gorgeous, I teased Nymeria.

Nymeria is my wolf. She is pure white but has black ears. When I was a pup and first learned how to shift, many pack members would make fun of me because they said it looked as though I had no ears. In the dark, my ears blend with the night, looking almost nonexistent. That was until I grew older.

I am the largest she-wolf in the Blue Moon Pack. Some say it's because of my Alpha blood, and that normally Alphas don't keep their daughters, only sons. I'd say I'm an average fighter, with average skills. But if I tried hard enough, I can fight like an Alpha.

My mother taught me to always stand my ground. To never look an opponent in the eyes and let them know your weaknesses. I learned everything from her, she was a strong Luna. A Luna loved by many in our pack.

My mother was my everything. My laugh. My smile. My reason to breathe. That was until she was killed by the Alpha of the Rogues, who sought revenge for my father who killed his loving mate.

My mother was a Queen in my eyes, a healer, and a watcher. She looked over every pack member and made sure we were always doing okay.

She lit the ways for pack members, ensured we had hope and were happy.

Her last words to me were,

"Whatever makes you feel the sun from the inside out; chase it."

Those words replay in my head every minute of every day.

Nymeria took one step forward as I repeated over and over in our mind, those very last words.

•••

Thoughts? I'm VERY rusty, but let me know what y'all think!

Questions??

I will be changing A LOT , please let me know your thoughts on that.

-noelle