Chapter 7

"We should head back."

I stayed silent as Bennett continued on, "Casey lost it in there when you left and I know I should be there with him just in case, but he's also not that much of an idiot to start anything with their Alpha and.." Bennett rambled on. Silence has become my new friend these past few minutes. No words I can say will change my mind or allow me to feel better. I don't want this. Not yet at least.

My gaze was still glued to the water sat before us. Focusing on the small fish bobbing up to the face of the water, creating small bubbles and ripples. I will have to leave my home. I'd have to leave Logan and my brothers, and even my father. I am all they have.

Bennett sat next to me, going on about what happened at the house and what he wanted to so badly do to my stranger of a mate. I sighed reluctantly and stood up on the dock. I dragged my cold toes into the run down shed I so selfishly claimed as my own, grabbed a dark shading pencil and a wrinkled page I must've ripped out from the spirals years ago.

Bennett followed closely behind me, curious as to what I was doing. I sat down and began drawing.

"We don't have much time Carter, what do you want to do?"

"I need you to promise me something." He quickly nodded his head, agreeing to the unknown. I smiled cheekily, continuing to draw, "don't forget about me." He stared at me blankly as I sat laughing in front of him.

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Act as though you're not phased by anything. No matter the situation, you're never bothered?"

I smeared the dark graphite with my finger, shading out the color to a light gray. Without looking up, I gave a half smile,

"'Be someone's reason to breath. Someone's reason to smile. Be the light in someone's darkness.'" The last word rolled off my tongue as I looked up at him, his face softening. He knew where those words come from, everyone knew. My mother.

He quietly sat down next to me, "what are you drawing?".

I quickly finished up and handed the wrinkled paper to him. I watched his face as he analyzed the drawing in front of him, "give this to Logan after I leave". I put emphasis on the after so he understood. He nodded, folded it and slid it in my back pocket.

"You should leave first, just in case."

A low growl emitted from his chest as he silently agreed. I stood up with him. His arms wrapped themselves around me for the last time as he reluctantly left the shack without a word.

I watched as his large silhouette disappeared beyond the trees.

I sighed, "Mom, I'm trusting you in this. I'll become a better me, for you."

• • •

I somehow managed to make it through the forest without being seen. The pack house was near in sight, I can see it through the tree line. Unfamiliar wolves roamed the yard, unfazed by the new intruder only a mere 100 feet from them. They're not too good at observing. I chuckled fo myself.

I made my way through the thinning out trees and onto our pack yard. I looked around seeing if anyone has noticed yet, and thankfully, they have not. I snickered at the thought of how terrible they must be or that they don't seem like they're trying. They must have just arrived from Aurora River to help track down my location.

Without a sound, I walked to our back porch and into the kitchen, still without being noticed. I glanced around the now broken and demolished room to see Meredith sweeping up the broken pieces of countertop. A part of me felt exactly like the broken counter, seeing Meredith cleaning up her beloved kitchen.

"Oh Meredith, I am so sorry.." Tears filled my eyes as she jumped from my sudden entrance. She shook her head uncontrollably and walked over.

"Don't be silly. They're just materialistic things, your brother will replace it." She joked. I laughed into her shoulder. "Everyone's been looking for you, most of us of course knew where you went but you needed a second to grasp what's happened. We wouldn't of said anything." Meredith comforted me the most out of everyone after my Mother died, and for that I am thankful.

I pulled away and grabbed the broom that was leaning against the wall. Meredith gave a small smile knowing she couldn't fight me on wanting to help. This is all my fault.

A few minutes go by and still no sign of my brother or my so called mate. Not that it bothered me though. A new presence rushed itself through the doorway and through its arms around me. The welcoming stench of Logan filled my nose.

"I JUST WOKE UP! WHAT HAPPENED! WHERE IS THIS SON OF A BITCH BECAUSE I'LL KILL HIM CARTER I SWEA-", I turned and hugged her tightly. The room was filled with silence once again.

What will I do without her?

"I'll be ok, I promise."

She pulled away, that's when I saw the tears flowing down her face. "No you have to stop that, you'll make me cry and then I won't be able to stop." In that second more tears fell from her eyes, thats when I lost it. We both stood there crying, staring at each other.

"Oh no," we heard Meredith whisper. We turned to look at her to find her staring at us crying, holding the broken toaster in her arms.

All three of us stood in the kitchen, hysterical. We couldn't make any words from underneath our sobs. I stared at Logan's face and giggled seeing the snot falling from her nose. The small giggle turned into a fit of laughter, Logan started laughing seeing me smiling through my tears.

Logan turned to her Mom and laughed even harder seeing her holding the toaster tight to her chest, crying. Merediths tears disappeared and turned into laughter.

We stood there laughing with tear stained cheeks until it hurt to breathe.

"Should I even ask what's happening in here?" A concerned Casey stood in the doorway. We all looked at him, then each other and laughed. I held my stomach, trying to catch my breath.

I walked up to him smiling, "everything will be fine." I hugged him tightly, wiping my tears against his shirt.

Everything will be fine.

• • •

-not edited-

Thoughts? Thank you everyone for continuing to read despite my terrible updating schedule..

I'll do my best to update as quick as I can, I just want what I publish for all of you to be the best it can be!

Please vote, comment & continue reading!

The best is yet to come 🖤

-noelle