Chapter 8

Casey stood at the foot of my bed holding one of my freshly dried paintings I had finished earlier this morning. He was staring a little too hard which caused a slight insecurity to spark inside of me.

"Can you maybe not stare at it like it's your last meal?" I cautiously walked over and grabbed it from him.

"Sorry, I'm just taking it all in while I still can.."

"You do know I'm not dying right?" I chuckled, glancing up at him. Surprise set in me when I saw he wasn't laughing. A slight shake appeared on his tall frame as his hands balled into fists.

"Woah now, what's happening?"

"Carter I swear if he fucking hurts you, I will kill him. That's not a threat. It's a promise." His knuckles turned white. "I'd raise all hell before he ever lays a hand on you and I swea-,"

I grabbed the closest paint brush and swiped it across his cheek. His favorite color, Orange. He reached up and wiped his cheek, leaving his fingertips freshly painted.

"Whoops," I held my hands up innocently, "must've slipped."

He growled lowly and in seconds, embraced me in a hug.

"It won't be the same if you leave us."

I hugged him tighter, "it'll all be ok. Everything will work out fine." We stood in silence for a few minutes.

Where is my mate anyways?

"Case, where is he?"

He pulled away scratching the back of his neck. "He called in reinforcements to help find where you might've gone." I laughed at the lack of confidence my so called mate has. Could he not find me himself?

Casey went silent for a few seconds, his eyes narrowing. Mind-link. "I'll be right back. I need to go deal with something," he grumbled and left my bedroom.

I stared around my all too familiar room. The old paintings and drawings lined the walls and blank spaces on the floor. A sadness pinged at my chest. I'd miss the paint stained hardwood floors and the faint smell of old oil paints lingering throughout my room.

I walked over to the window sill and stared out at the large yard filled with the oh-so familiar, unfamiliar wolves.

If I didn't know my pack so well, they would fit right in. The Aurora River Pack was always seemed to be the largest, smartest, and strongest of all. But to me, they're nothing more than a bunch of wolves with big egos.

I glanced around, staring and taking in each wolves appearance. Some smaller and some larger, some darker and some lighter. One wolf stood out the most. It's beautiful tan coat had a large scar trailing down it's side with black fur outlining its discolored skin, almost like it was painted on. It stood much larger than all the other wolves, almost by a couple feet.

My breath hitched in my throat, my body was feeling all the right things. That is my mate. His bright green eyes stared back at me through the clear glass of my bedroom window. I couldn't take my eyes off him as he slowly made his way through his pack, towards the back porch steps.

I need to find Logan. I can't be alone if he comes up here. I slowly backed away from the window, breaking eye contact with him. I ran to my door and quickly opened it in hopes to find an unoccupied hallway. As I made my way through the door way, I ran into a bare chest and an intense scent swarmed me.

My body instantly went numb, my entire being seemed to purr on the inside. I subconsciously felt content, but consciously was a different story. My heart was beating at a rate that seemed unhealthy.

My body was on fire. All I wanted to do was touch him. He was mine, he is mine.

Stop Carter, control yourself.

I took full control over Nymeria and took a large step back, creating a not so welcoming space between us. I took this as a chance to look him in the eyes again. His light green eyes focusing on every move I made, slightly creasing at the sudden distance placed between us.

I was never fond of being the center of attention. A part of me was beginning to get squeamish at being stared at for so long. Can he stop? I shifted my eyes away from him, staring at everything possible other than him. He smells so good.. an inner me melted at his scent.

"I'm Hunter," a some-what annoyed raspy voice echoed off my walls. My head snapped up, meeting the face belonging to the voice. Hunters jaw clenched as he took a deep breath.

"Hmm," I nodded. A low growl emitted from him which sent shivers down my spine all the way to my toes. I softly shut my eyes, enjoying the feeling that washed over me. I shook away the feeling from my fingertips and reopened my eyes, seeing the cocky smirk placed upon his lips.

"Oh shut it. You wish." I snapped, turning away from him. A hand grabbed my waist and spun me around, pushing me against my bedroom wall. His breath tickled my ear,

"You might want to watch what you say to me Dea, potrebbe non piacerti quello che succederà." His strong accent rolled off his tongue. Did I not notice his accent before? He lightly bit my ear, distracting me from my thoughts. His lips trailed down my neck all too quick. As much as I hated stopping, I needed too.

His grip on my waist released the slightest bit. I took advantage of his weakness and slid out of his hold I was now standing on the opposite side of him, staring at his back as his muscles tensed up infront of me. Tattoos lined his left shoulder, trailing down his arm to his fingers. How many people has he lost? His light brown hair matched his wolf perfectly, along with his bright green eyes. I analyzed him, my mate. My eyes trailed over the curves and twists of his defined muscles, uncovering the large scar that wrapped itself around his rib cage. Curiosity set in.

What happened to him?

I sighed, giving in.

"My name is Carter Long."

•••

-not edited-

Two updates in one week?! What.. who am I?
I hope you all enjoy! Thank you to all who are voting and spreading the word.
I have fallen in love with writing this book & I can not wait for you all to begin feeling the same way!

Please continue voting, commenting & sharing the most you can!

-noelle 🖤