Chapter 12: Studying

"So, this one is a devil's trap?" Evelyn asked, pointing at the pentagram in the circle. One of her hands was resting on the table in the library of the Men of Letters bunker, the other playing with the anti-possession charm on her necklace. Sam smiled gently at his niece and looked at the card she was pointing at.

"Yeah, that's right!" Sam said, watching as a tiny, proud smile appeared over Evelyn's face.

Sam, Dean, and Evelyn had all arrived back at the bunker about an hour ago. None of them were tired, and Evelyn had been curious about hunting, so Sam had decided it would be a good idea to 'educate' her. Dean had gotten out John's journal and some lore books, and Sam had pulled up a few symbols on his laptop. Evelyn had copied down symbols and made make-shift flashcards out of them. Dean had called her a nerd for it, but she decided it was worth it. She didn't know if she wanted to be a hunter or not, but it was still a good idea to be familiar with the stuff so she would know if she ever needed it. Dean sat next to her as she looked over books and the journal while Sam sat across from them, all three of them studying something.

"But what does it do?" Dean asked, looking at Evelyn as she pondered for a moment.

"It keeps demons inside of it, right?" Evelyn asked, looking doubtful of herself. "And once they're in it, they can't get out, or they die."

"Exactly." Dean said. She looked back down at John's journal. It was quiet for a moment as she read a page on demons while Sam and Dean looked through the lore books for any more information on Amara.

"So, this was your dad's?" Evelyn asked, flipping the page to see a picture of black eyes drawn on the page, along with an exorcism chant.

"Yep." Sam said, scrolling through an article on his laptop. "Your grandfather."

Dean looked at his brother with confusion. "Dude. That's weird. Don't say that."

"It's true." Evelyn chimed in, looking at Dean and shrugging. She turned her eyes to the symbol flashcards, taking them in her hands and setting the devil's trap card to the side. "What's this one?" Dean looked at the piece of paper in Evelyn's hand and saw a poorly drawn reaper circle.

"It's a reaper trap." Dean said, leaning backward in his chair.

"Like, Grim Reaper?" Evelyn asked, her eyes studying it more.

"Sort of." Sam commented. "These guys are like mini helpers. They gather the souls that Death takes and send them to Heaven or Hell."

"Is Death a person?" Evelyn asked, looking between Sam and Dean.

"Was." Sam said, looking up from his laptop. "Dean killed him." Evelyn looked at Dean, her mouth open in awe while he had a smug grin.

"Awesome." she said, grinning after. "My family is so cool." Sam and Dean looked at each other and smiled. It was still foreign; being referred to as 'family' by someone they just met. But, they knew it was something they would need to get used to.

"What about this one?" Sam asked, reaching across the table and holding up the card that had an anti-possession symbol.

"Anti-possession! That's on my necklace and you guys have the tattoos. It keeps demons out." Evelyn chirped. Sam grinned and sat the card down, grabbing an angel sigil instead.

"Angel sigil?" Evelyn asked, cocking her eyebrow. Sam nodded. "That's how you banish them, right? Back to heaven to buy time?"

"Yeah, that's right." Dean said. "What do you make it out of?"

"Um." Evelyn said, scratching the back of her neck. "Blood?"

"Are you sure you're not Sam's kid?" Dean asked jokingly. "I'm pretty sure you didn't get these brains from me."