Chapter 28: Poker Games

"I haven't found anything on the surveillance cameras." Dean said to Castiel through his phone, which had been placed on speaker and setting on the table next to him in the library. Dean's attention was directed at Evelyn as he cleaned the cuts on her temple with disinfectant from the first-aid kit. "It's like they just disappeared, man."

"Ow!" Evelyn whined, jerking away from Dean slightly as he applied too much pressure on her head. He gave Evelyn a look that said 'stop being a wimp' and grabbed the collar of her shirt, gently pulling her closer to him as he held her chin in place with his other hand.

Evelyn, Dean, Castiel, and Mary had all gotten back to the bunker from their fight with the British woman late yesterday night. Castiel offered to go to Aldrich, Missouri and scope out the area in attempts to find Sam while Dean, Mary, and Evelyn stayed at the bunker. The three had all gotten patched up and when Dean cleaned up Evelyn cuts, he noticed they were incredibly red around the wound and had been swelling excessively. He concluded it to be infected, so Dean was now cleaning the cuts again so Evelyn could heal faster.

"How about you?" Dean asked to the phone, putting slightly less pressure on Evelyn's head as he wiped the rag covered in disinfectant on it. Her face scrunched up slightly in discomfort from Dean's rough hands. She seemed to be feeling better after the car crash, just her body was tense and sore. Dean had made her truthfully answer if her head was hurting and Mary tested her for a concussion, but Evelyn passed with flying colors. She just had a headache since they got back to the bunker, but she seemed fine now. "Any of the local beat cops see anybody that shouldn't be there?" 

"It's pretty rural." Castiel replied, his voice having a slight hint of static through the phone. Dean wiped the last bit of dried blood from Evelyn's cuts and put the rag down, shuffling through the first-aid kit for a bandage while Castiel replied. "There's not a lot of beat cops."

"Did you check any motels or abandoned buildings?" Evelyn asked, leaning back in her chair for a moment as Dean grabbed a butterfly bandage from the bottom of the kit, unwrapping it as Evelyn leaned her head forward, him sticking it on her temple.

"Yeah, and no sign of Sam." Castiel replied as Dean stuck one more bandage on Evelyn's temple for good measure. He let out a small sigh as he pressed the bandage on Evelyn's head and frowned.

"All right." Dean said, both to Castiel and Evelyn. "You're all patched up, kiddo." Evelyn handed Dean the bottle of disinfectant and he placed it back into the first-aid kit, closing it and handing it to Evelyn, along with the dirty rag he had used to clean her cuts and the wrapper of the bandages. Evelyn placed the rag and trash on top of the box and stood up from her chair, looking at Dean and giving him a tired smile. Dean examined her and noted the wounds were a little less swollen now, the redness around the edges still making him nervous.

"Aren't you gonna kiss it better?" Evelyn asked snarkily to her father, and Dean gave her an eye roll and shoved the first aid kit towards her. Evelyn laughed as Dean grabbed his phone and put it off the speaker, pressing it to his ear and continuing his conversation with Castiel as Evelyn walked through the main room of the bunker, towards the corridor where all of the bedrooms were.

Evelyn took a small detour on the way back to her room and put the first aid kit back in the kitchen cupboard, throwing the trash away, putting the rag in the dirty laundry, then catching her reflection in the sleek metal of the fridge. Evelyn turned her head to the side slightly and examined the cuts on her temple, grimacing as she saw how horrible she looked. Her hair was matted and her face was still thin, an effect from all the guilt she had been feeling since her first hunt with Sam and Dean. She had a few bruises littered on her cheek as well, and Evelyn turned her head away from her reflection and started her journey back towards her bedroom.