Chapter 21: Guilt

Warnings: Death, blood, gore.

<><><><><>

When Dean woke up, he was in a hospital.

Or what looked like one, anyway. The stereotypical white walls and bed sheets surrounded him, and Dean mentally rejoiced in the fact that he still had the same clothes on he had been hunting in and not a loose hospital gown. There was a woman standing beside his bed in a typical doctor's coat, scratching off something on her clipboard.

"Don't try to move if you can help it." The woman, Doctor Kessler, told Dean as he groaned. "You got a couple of broken ribs I haven't tended to yet." Dean slowly turned his head to the right and saw Evelyn sitting in a chair, her knees tucked to her chest and her head laying on her shoulder, fast asleep. She had a few butterfly bandages on her cheek, her hair no longer in a ponytail but in a messy bun on top of her head, a few pieces falling in the back because of Evelyn's hair barely passed her collarbone. Dean stared at her for a moment, silently thanking God-wherever he was-that his child was safe.

"That, and what is probably..." Doctor Kessler took a small flashlight out of her pocket and shined it in Dean's eyes, his pupils suddenly dilating and darting every which way. "A nasty concussion." Doctor Kessler turned the flashlight off and Dean let out a breath, his head turning back towards Evelyn for a second.

"Is she okay?" Dean asked, voice rough and gravely as he looked back at Doctor Kessler. The woman looked at Evelyn for a second then turned back to Dean.

"She's fine except for a few bruises." Doctor Kessler admitted. "We let her shower in the staff bathrooms and got her some clothes from lost and found. She's a sweet girl. Thinks very highly of you." She rested a hand on Dean's shoulder as he tried to sit up. She pushed him back down gently and he groaned, falling into the soft cushions of the bed.

"Hey, do us both a favor," Doctor Kessler said strictly, glancing over at Evelyn, "and get some rest." Doctor Kessler looked back over at Dean and gave him a small smile, tucking her flashlight back into the pocket of her jacket and walking out of Dean's room.

A few minutes later Evelyn's eyes fluttered open and she sat up slowly, stretching her short legs out and sitting up straight in her chair. She stretched her neck to the left in an attempt to get rid of the knot that was forming. Dean turned his head slowly toward her at the sound of her movements.

"Oh, you're awake." Evelyn said softly, gently smiling at Dean. She was wearing the same jeans and boots, but she had on a Spider-Man t-shirt and her leather jacket. Her face was clean of blood, which Dean assumed was because of the shower. "You've been asleep for like, five hours. How are you feeling?"

"Been better." Dean grunted, trying to sit up again. Evelyn sat up a little straighter in her chair as Dean fell back into the pillow behind him with a grunt.

"Maybe you should stay down?" Evelyn suggested softly, stretching her arms out and giving a sad smile at Dean. He turned his head toward her and gave her his best bitch face he could manage, and Evelyn shrugged her shoulders. She let out a sigh as Dean turned his head away from her and tried to sit up again. Evelyn stood up from the chair, taking a few steps over to Dean's bed and sitting on the side of it. Evelyn reached over and grabbed Dean's hand holding it tightly in her own. Dean stopped in his movements, looking at his daughter.

"Are you okay?" Evelyn asked quietly, her eyes wide with concern. There was a pause, and Dean opened his mouth to reply but was cut off by a voice.

"Hi." Michelle said softly, smiling at Dean and Evelyn as Evelyn spun her head around, attempting to let go of Dean's hand, but he held her's tight in his own.