Chapter 35: Mending

Evelyn was numb.

She was numb all over.

She had started crying again after Sam gave her the box of tissues. Dean had calmed her down enough after hugging her to where sobs echoed into hiccups, then hiccups turned into shudders and a runny nose. She felt worse than she had yesterday at the hospital after Sam, Dean, and Cas found her. She felt worse than when Legion was crawling down her throat and taking control of her body.

Her hands were unresponsive to all touches and her eyes felt like they were sinking into her skull, her head pounding with insecurities and thoughts of 'she's gone she's gone she's gone'. Evelyn's eyelids were drooping but she felt more awake than ever, her body refusing to even twitch as a reaction every time the Impala shook and bounced with every road bump. Dean had been driving for two hours straight now. Evelyn had been in the same position for two hours straight.

Dean had walked Evelyn back to the car while Sam asked Coda if they could have Lottie's body to burn it for a hunters funeral (he lied and said it was a religious ceremony that Lottie would have wanted). Coda had told him he couldn't release the body to anyone who wasn't documented family. Even if Sam had explained that Dean was Evelyn's father and he was her uncle, it wouldn't have mattered. They weren't registered on either of the girls' birth certificates. Coda informed Sam that since Evelyn had been gone for so long, he had picked out a simple casket and headstone on his own time.

Lottie hadn't been connected to anyone in town besides her employees at the bar and some regulars, she was an only child and both her parents had died, and Evelyn had been gone, so Coda picked out a free plot in the cemetery. The funeral was going to be next Friday. Sam told Evelyn when he got back into the car.

It physically pained her to mumble, "I can't go."

She was laid on her side in the backseat, her back facing Sam and Dean as an empty stare remained focused on the leather. Her head was resting on her pillow and a blanket covered the lower half of her body, the fabric bunching around her waist. One of Evelyn's hands was tucked under the pillow, the other lying next to her face. She wasn't thinking of anything, her mind completely blank except for images of her mother laying on the table in the morgue.

She knew she looked horrible. It took anyone who wasn't blind to notice.

Her tattoo itched from under the bandages but she didn't bother to scratch it. Her arms weren't responding to her command to move them. Each limb felt as if it weighed 1,000 pounds more than it already did.

"Hey, Ev?" Dean said as he turned around in his seat to look at his daughter. She didn't even realize that Dean had pulled into a convenience store parking lot, but she did know he was speaking to her.

"We're gonna go inside and get some drinks, you want anything, kiddo?" Sam asked softly. Evelyn still didn't reply. She wanted to, her vocal cords ached to say something, but she couldn't muster up the air to speak. Sam and Dean glanced at each other worriedly.

"We'll get you some water, okay, sweetheart?" Dean asked. Evelyn blinked slowly, her back still facing Sam and Dean. "We'll be right back. Just stay here."

Sam and Dean got out of the car, leaving Evelyn alone. The atmosphere changed to where she knew she was alone; to where there wasn't another presence with her. Evelyn's eyes filled with water as tears rolled down her face, thoughts popping into her mind of how alone her mother must have felt when being murdered. How alone Evelyn was now because the one constant person in her life was gone. How Lottie was never coming back. How Evelyn would never see her bright blue eyes or her smile again-

Evelyn's thoughts were interrupted by rushed footsteps on the pavement. They were too quick to be Dean's and too light to be Sam's. Someone was probably just passing by. Evelyn sniffled and shoved her face deeper in her pillow