Chapter 16: The Worst Fight Scene

Evelyn went home the rest of the week after that.

Dean had come up with the idea. He thought it would be better if Evelyn stayed out of their problems for a few weeks while they dealt with Amara and Lucifer. Evelyn had called her mother and told her that Sam and Dean were busy with other things, and Lottie met the boys on the Oklahoma-Kansas border and exchanged Evelyn. She gave her father and uncle big hugs before she left, apologizing again. Sam said it was okay, and that maybe they could see each other again after this conflict was resolved, and sent Evelyn off. Sam could have sworn he saw Dean's face drop when Evelyn climbed into Lottie's car.

After that, it had been six days.

Evelyn was sitting in her AP History class, listening to the teacher drone on about flappers in the 1920's when the intercom in the room beeped to life.

"Miss June?" the secretary asked over the intercom, causing everyone to look at the ceiling where the speaker was located. Evelyn kept her head down and continued scribbling down an idea she had for her short story assignment for English.

"Yes?" the teacher replied, stopping the PowerPoint presentation she had started and looked at the speaker with the other kids.

"May I have Evelyn Davidson to the office with her things please?" the secretary asked. Evelyn stopped writing and looked up from her paper, feeling her face flush slightly when she saw everyone in the classroom looking at her. Evelyn folded up her notebook and started putting her things in her backpack while Miss June replied.

"She's on her way!" the teacher chirped, the intercom making another beep noise-sounding that it was now offline. Evelyn quickly zipped up her backpack and stood up from her desk, tossing one strap over her shoulder and quickly walking through the door. She shut it behind her and started her journey to the staircase.

Was she getting picked up? Or was she in trouble? The bell was going to ring in at least 10 minutes, so Evelyn knew that's why she was asked to bring her things. She didn't have an appointment and her mom was working the bar until six since it was a weekday-the extra help came in after that so Lottie could go home and spend time with Evelyn. The only other person who was on her checkout list was her grandmother, and she had died a few months ago. 

Evelyn walked to the office and pushed open the door, seeing the secretary sitting at her table. The woman grinned and offered Evelyn the phone, and Evelyn hesitantly took it.

"It's Bruce Hamil. He called and asked for you." the woman said, causing Evelyn to raise an eyebrow. Who was that? She nonetheless pressed the phone to her ear, taking a breath before speaking as the door opened and a senior boy came in, whispering something to the secretary.

"Hello?" Evelyn asked, clutching the strap of her backpack with her free hand. The secretary suddenly nodded and stood up, following the teenage boy outside, leaving Evelyn alone in the office.

"Ev?" Sam's voice asked, and Evelyn's eyes went wide. She held back the surprise in her voice as she cautiously glanced around, seeing no one. "Sorry I had to call here, you weren't answering your phone."

"Yeah, because I'm at school. In class." Evelyn hissed in a hushed tone, still looking around to make sure she was alone. "Why are you calling me?" 

"I wanted to see if you wanted to come with Dean and I on a hunt." Sam proposed, and Evelyn could sense the uneasiness in his voice. "A real hunt."

"Like, an Amara hunt?" Evelyn asked, moving her hand from her backpack strap to fiddle with the anti-possession charm on her necklace.

"No, not that big." Sam chuckled, pausing for a moment. "Dean says hi."

"Tell him hey for me." Evelyn said, combing a piece of her shoulder length hair behind her ear. "But, what kind of hunt?"