Chapter 19: Gunshot

Warning: Blood, gore.

<><><><><>

"Oh, hey." Evelyn said, looking up from her book when she saw Sam and Dean get into the Impala. She sat up in the backseat while she bookmarked her page and closed her book. "Find anything?"

"Easement cabins." Sam answered, handing the small map of the forest he had to Evelyn to examine as Dean started the car. "The, uh, bartender said the missing hikers might be in there."

"And that doesn't sound fishy how?" Evelyn chuckled slightly, trying to read the map in the dark. She gave up and handed it back to Sam as Dean pulled out of the parking lot to the bar. She had been left in the car since it was 21 or older to go inside, and Dean didn't think the 'take your daughter to work day' excuse would work when it was almost midnight.

"If it means we can get this over with faster, I'll check out any rumor." Dean said, stopping at the stop sign. "We're gonna go back to the motel, change, then head out."

Evelyn felt her stomach become heavy. She had started to get anxious after they had left the field where she shot a gun. What if she messed this up somehow? What if she got killed? Worse, what if she got Sam or Dean killed? Evelyn couldn't bear the thought of losing her uncle or father-mainly because she just got them and enjoys having them in her life. But what if she died and Dean would have to explain that to her mother?

Evelyn shook her head to get the thoughts out. Anxiety wasn't going to get the best of her. Not this time.

<><><><><>

"All right." Sam started, shining a flashlight down on his map as Dean rummaged through the trunk and Evelyn loaded a magazine into her gun (yes, her gun. Dean found an extra in the trunk and said she could have it). "So, I think if we head in that way," he pointed straight ahead of them, "it should be about a four mile trek to the cabin." Evelyn nodded and Dean handed her a knife as she set the gun on top of the Impala. She cautiously took it, weighing it in her hands and realizing it was a silver dagger.

"Think you can handle that walk, kiddo?" Sam asked, his tone light. Evelyn glanced up at him with wide eyes. He was gently smiling and a small smile spread on Evelyn's face, her stomach starting to loosen the knots in itself.

"I'm in cross country." Evelyn stated, tucking the knife Dean had given her into the inside pocket of her brown leather jacket which she had stolen from her mother. "I think I can handle four miles."

"If you're sure." Dean said playfully, grabbing a bag out of the trunk and slinging it over his shoulder. Dean ruffled Evelyn's hair, which was currently down. He softly smiled at his daughter and Evelyn returned it, reaching her hands up to her head and quickly putting her hair into a ponytail. Evelyn grabbed her gun off the top of the Impala and held it by her side, double checking the safety was on. Dean shut the trunk and the three of them started walking.

"You know, maybe we should go camping." Evelyn proposed, looking between Sam and Dean since she was walking in the middle. Dean scoffed lightly and switched on his flashlight, shining it on the path alongside Sam's.

"That could be fun." Sam said, gently nudging Evelyn's side with his elbow, smiling slightly as she quietly giggled. 

"Yeah, because freezing our nuts off in the middle of the woods sounds great." Dean said sarcastically, and Evelyn elbowed him in the ribs. It was quiet for a moment, and she ran her thumb on the handle of her pistol, feeling the grip tape that one of the brothers had put on it long ago. The smooth texture helped her keep her mind grounded.

"You good, Ev?" Sam asked, peering down at his niece. She shrugged. Evelyn felt that knot in her stomach tighten again. She felt like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. She had to protect Sam and Dean. She couldn't let them get hurt. She needed to prove she was mature enough to handle this.