Chapter 25: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Dean had wanted to go to one more place before he died, and that was the cemetery.

His last wish was to go and see his mother's grave one more time, just to say goodbye to her.

Evelyn was sitting on the trunk of the Impala, watching Sam and Dean from a distance as they both stood in front of the grave of Mary Winchester, speaking faintly about something that Evelyn couldn't hear. She glanced around the cemetery, examining all the different shapes and sizes of the gravestones. Dean had already told her and Sam where he wanted to be buried, and that was right next to his mother. Evelyn glanced at a bare spot beside Mary's gravestone and a tear fell from her eye as she pictured Dean's headstone there.

Evelyn wiped her eyes with the sleeve of her dark brown leather jacket-it was actually Dean's, but Evelyn got cold and Dean found it in the Impala and threw it at her-and sniffled, setting her hands in her lap and beginning to twiddle her thumbs as she stared at her dangling feet. Chuck and Rowena were leaning against the side of the car while Castiel stood in front them, and Crowley was standing by the front, everyone watching the Winchesters except Evelyn.

Dean suddenly clasped a hand on Sam's shoulder and turned around, walking back to the group to say his goodbyes. He went up to Chuck first, asking if God was still okay with this. Evelyn listened quietly as Chuck went on about how even through everything Amara was still his sister-the pain in his voice was evident and Rowena rubbed his arm comfortingly.

"I don't want to see her... dead." Chuck said, looking sadly at Dean. "But I understand."

Castiel was next, standing behind Dean and calling him by name. Dean turned around and Cas pulled him into a sudden hug, and Dean chuckled sadly as he patted his angel pal on the back. Evelyn turned her head up slightly and caught Dean's eye over Cas's shoulder, and she didn't even bother to wipe the tears that were flowing down her face away.

"I could go with you." Castiel said hopefully, and Evelyn slightly smiled at him. Dean pulled away from Cas and held him at arms length.

"Oh, no. No." Dean said softly but knowingly. "I gotta do this alone." Dean looked over Castiel's shoulder to Sam, who was still in front of Mary's grave. Evelyn turned her head back down and hopped off the trunk, walking over to Sam and not saying anything, but instead grabbing his hand and clutching it tightly in her own. Sam looked down at her sadly and Evelyn nodded to him, her jaw clenched as a tear slipped down his face. Evelyn looped her free arm around Sam's while still holding his hand, pressing her body slightly to his side as he leaned into her.

"Listen, man." Dean said to Cas, becoming slightly teary-eyed at watching Sam and Evelyn. "If... No, when this works; Sam-he's gonna be a mess." Cas turned around to look at the back of Sam and Evelyn for a second then back to Dean.

"So look out for him, okay?" Dean pressed on, and Cas nodded. "And, uh, help him take care of Ev. She's gonna be upset, too. She's gonna need love from both her uncles, okay? Make sure they don't do anything stupid." Cas nodded again and felt a lump in his throat. He was happy Dean trusted him with Evelyn, but upset because he knew him or Sam could never fill the father figure roll in Evelyn's life.

"Of course." Cas said, not noticing how Sam and Evelyn were taking their time walking back to the Impala, their hands still interlocked. Dean placed a hand on Castiel's shoulder as Sam and Evelyn stopped behind them, releasing their hands and putting them in their respective pockets. Evelyn tried to ignore the fact that Dean's jacket practically swallowed her as she pressed her arms tighter to her sides.

"Thank you for everything." Dean said to Cas, taking his hand off the angel's shoulder. Dean rubbed a hand over his mouth and turned to look at the group as a whole.