CHAPTER 1

Teresa P.O.V

It had been 3 hours since Thomas, Teresa and the other gladers - the ones who survived had escaped. They kept walking till they grew tired and finally reached this place where all lay asleep now. Teresa lay on her back , staring at the ceiling above, deep in thought. She turned to her side and noticed Thomas who was on the farther corner of the room. She had noticed him previously when they were walking. He had seemed disheartened, absorbed in sadness in an odd way. Teresa knew that he felt sorry for Brenda. For all she knew they could've been together. They could have been a "us". He had looked so broken that all Teresa wanted was to walk over to him engulf him in a warm, tight hug. But somehow even now her mind gathered the fact that she wasn't allowed to do that anymore. She looked out the window by her side and drifted off to sleep.

                           °•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

She is 15 years or so. She is seated beside Thomas, their hands together. He turns to face her and says, "I wish there wasn't a reason for me going into the maze."

"Me too", she accepts, her eyes suddenly glinting with tears, threatening to fall out any second. Thomas cups her face and presses his forehead against hers. "Please don't cry, babe", he mutters.

BABE ? Wait did you just call me babe ? Teresa asked, an inaudible voice that no one seems to hear.

"I'm trying not to....but I.......I am not sure if.....I don't want you to go, Tom ", she states , sobbing. He hugs her tight. She hugs him back, wanting to never let go. She breathes him in, knowing that this wasn't going to happen again for a long time.

Slowly, She pulls back and says, "I love you."

"I love you , too"  Thomas replies and leans in to kiss her. 

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

She woke up with a start. She sighed, heavy breathed, on realizing that  the good dream was over. She was weird-ed out by the fact that this dream felt different...unlike a dream. It felt as though it was a part of her. Only then did it strike her. This wasn't a dream. It was her memories of Thomas. WICKED had denied her those memories when she'd gotten her memory back . And now they were all coming back.

Shit !!! She and Thomas had actually been lovers...IF only it were true now.

She got up and looked around. To her surprise, Minho was still awake.That's odd....That guy could sleep through a hurricane, Teresa thought. She walked over to him. He sat there, on a bench with his back to Teresa.

"Hey", Teresa whispered, exhausted by all that had happened. Minho gave a loud shriek that almost no one could sleep through. But no one moved a muscle. Obviously they were all tired like her.

"You were scared", she said to Minho, trying to suppress a smile at which she failed miserably.

 Frustrated with her, Minho said, "Yeah, Yeah...Go on! Laugh. DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN". Teresa nodded and sat down next to him. Both of them remained silent.

Teresa looked out the window and wondered, what was gonna happen now ? All the immunes finally have a shot at a peaceful, WICKED-free life. But what were they really going to do ? They are yet to find the gate to safe haven as directed per Ava Paige. It's true that they were free from WICKED but the world was still a scorch all over, over-run by Cranks.

As if having read her thoughts, Minho asked, "What is going to happen now ?"

"I don't know", Teresa replied honestly, "I mean, if we could somehow get rid off flare,we'd have a decent chance at saving the world."

"How do you feel?", Minho inquired, surprising her. Does he even care ?

"Worried, actually", Teresa admitted.

"Me too", Minho replied, his eyes still hovering outside, "Especially  about that shank", he said, pointing his finger to her right. Her eyes didn't need to follow his finger for her to understand that Minho meant Thomas.

She nodded silently. A moment of pure discrete silence followed.

Minho spoke up again, "It was hard enough already with you betraying him"...Teresa glared at him, angrily. "Don't give me that shuck look", Minho continued, "He was disheartened already and now Brenda's dead. I don't know how he's doing with all this klunk".

He ran his hands through his already messed up hair and whispered in an irritated tone, "God, this is all so shucking crazy". They remained silent. Minho spoke suddenly interrupting the silence, "You could  have done your part a little less,ya know...back in the scorch when you were "acting", he said making imaginary quote marks in the air lingering on the word acting almost like he didn't believe Teresa. "You scared the living daylights out of him", Minho accused.

Teresa didn't know what to say. She was sick and tired of explaining so many times. She sighed," I keep thinking about what I could've done to save Thomas, without hurting him. But nothing strikes me. I did what felt right at that time. I don't know...Maybe he'll forgive me one day. Or not", She shrugged and looked at Minho who's eyes were turning red.

"You should get some rest", she said and walked back over to her place. She didn't sleep for a long time. At last, she dozed off.