CHAPTER 18

"Absolutely not.", Thomas said, making Teresa sigh. She looked to Sonya who frowned, "I'm going to have to go with Thomas on this one."

Teresa scowled at the betrayal of Sonya, "Et Tu, Brute?"

Sonya rolled her eyes, "Don't be so dramatic. We're doing this, for your sake."

Teresa retaliated, "But I'm absolutely fine. I don't see why I can't accompany you to scavenge."

"Because you lost a lot of blood and you're still weak. Letting you come with, will only endanger you more.", Sonya explained, calmly. Minho nodded, "Not just you, it puts us all in danger. If you were to faint suddenly, when we're being chased by cranks, because you're tired, none of us will be able to leave you behind to die. Which puts all of us in risk."

Teresa frowned, grimacing. Gally raised his hand, "Not all of us. I'd leave her behind in a heartbeat."

Sonya, Minho, Thomas and Teresa rolled their eyes, collectively and glared at Gally, making him back off, throwing his hands up in surrender.

Teresa stared at the mutiny that had formed against her going out to gather necessities. They were reasoning with her saying that she needed to recover. And honestly, it was making her mad. It wasn't that she was going to go out just to help them, by looking for useful commodities. She wanted to accompany them for her sake. Today was the last day of the extended stay here before leaving for safe haven. Meaning she was going to have to part with them, tomorrow. She would be all alone then and she still didn't know what she was going to do, wander around or go back to WCKD. Either way, if she had to survive in a place crowded by cranks, she needed commodities too, for herself. For her to persist after the others are gone. She wanted to collect goods for herself, for her survival. Of course, she couldn't explain this to them.

Thomas turned to her, "You're not coming with. That's the end of the discussion."

Teresa glared at him, "You don't get to make my decisions for me. You're not the boss of me."

Thomas looked taken aback at the response. "I didn't say I was. We're just worried for you."

Teresa snorted, "Right, all of a sudden you care." She glared at Thomas, who looked at her, confused.

"I do care.", Thomas said, looking down.

"Please.", Teresa scoffed. "You will stop caring the minute you misinterpret my actions."

She stormed away, leaving everyone dumbfounded. She turned around to face them. "I am going out to gather supplies and You can't stop me." She walked to where the barrel was situated to get a gun. 

Maybe she shouldn't have snapped at Thomas but the reality of the situation was sinking in and she was becoming scared. This time, tomorrow, she was going to be all alone, after escorting everyone safely to the safe haven.  After the close call with the crank day before yesterday, she knew that she didn't want to die like that. She wouldn't become a crank if she was bitten, thank god for that, but dying after having bitten by one fatally wasn't how she was planning to go.

She wondered if she would be able to survive out on her own, if she would be able to take the loneliness. She was always surrounded by people, even if they weren't keen on conversing with her. The thought of solitary sent shivers down her spine.

She took a gun and placed it in the waist line of her pants and hid it with her jacket. She walked over to the others who were still standing around, talking about something, probably her outburst.

"Shall we leave?", She asked, folding her arms over her chest.

She heard Minho respond a small barely audible yeah, making Thomas walk away from them. Soon, the crowd dispersed entirely, except for Sonya and her.