CHAPTER 14

Teresa stuffed the letter into her Jean pocket. She placed the disc cover on the ground, next to her, her hands trembling. She wiped the tears stains on her cheek. She couldn't have people coming up to her and asking if she was alright. Not that anyone would care.

It was fixed. She would go with everyone. The flat trans would be opened by the flick of the switch. She would offer to be the last one to go. Everyone would go through the flat trans and reach the safe haven. She would shut the switch in the remote box next to the flat trans, a remote box which apparently becomes visible only after a person has entered the flat trans.

She wasn't sure what she was going to do after that and most certainly didn't care if she died, at this point, after all that had happened.

She turned her head away from the crowd and trained her eyes on the wall to her left. Somehow, memorising the pattern on the worn-out and on-the-brink-of-destruction wall seemed a lot more interesting than watching everyone gush about a happy ending she wasn't destined for.

She stared at the wall, blankly. After spending minutes thinking of ways to escape and what she ever did to deserve the life that she has been subjected to, her mind was blank. She had ran out of tears and hope.

******

Thomas was worried sick about  Teresa.....and Sonya. It was  dark outside and the girls had been instructed to return before sundown, but they weren't back yet. Minho, Frypan and Aris were deep in a discussion about how to ration the food so that everyone had something to eat, as long as they were stuck here, when they heard some laughing noises. He could make out that whoever the sound originated from, was having a great laugh. Minho cleared the path for them and moved forward, past the people who had formed a shell around the source. He was curious about the noise but was surprised to see that it was, in fact, Teresa and Sonya who were laughing, on the ground. He saw blood on Teresa's shirt and before he knew what was happening, he was by her side, asking her if she was fine.

Only when she replied that she indeed was, did Thomas feel a little better. But his emotions were sent on a rollercoaster ride, when Sonya revealed that they had found the flat trans. Thomas was pleasantly shocked, like everyone at that instant. But then, another thought hit Thomas. They must have had a hard time finding it, with the cranks out there. And he found himself worrying about Teresa again. She, once again, assured him, not getting annoyed by his constant worrying. He let out a short breath, relieved. He wanted to talk to her about their conversation from before. It was probably not the best time, but Thomas wanted her to know that he meant every word he said. That he did really want to be her friend again. He barely approached the topic, when Frypan flung himself at him. Thomas laughed and hugged him back. He saw Teresa stepping back and giggling at them. He realized then, that he loved seeing her smile.

Minho and Sonya joined them. Thomas saw Teresa walk away, after giving something to Sonya. A part of him wanted her to stay, but he understood that she must be exhausted and probably wanted to lay off all of the attention for a while. He listened intently while Sonya explained their discovery of the flat trans. Thomas was shocked when he learnt that the flat trans was related to a game that he and Teresa used to play. He was elated, however, for the short snippet Teresa remembered. He had never wanted to know about his past with Teresa as much he did that instant.

He realized that Teresa remembering this memory could mean she remembered more of their time together. He wanted to ask her about it. Wanted to know more about him when he was young. More about Young Teresa.

He looked around, searching for her. It was difficult to spot her, with the hoards of gladers and immunes rejoicing everywhere. He said to Minho, "I'll be right back...", and started searching for her.

He finally found her, but he couldn't see her face. She sat hugging her knees close to her chest, her arms wrapped around her legs. She was facing the opposite side, her head on her knees. Thomas licked his lips and started moving forward towards her, practicing in his mind what he wanted to say to her.

_____________________________

Yay !! The next chapter is up, after so long !! Sorry about the wait....But as promised, I updated this chapter !! I realized that we haven't seen Thomas's POV for three chapters now...So, this chapter is half from his POV....

Comment your thoughts on this chapter 😀 !!

See ya 👋👋....Until the next chapter !!

And Thomas and Teresa are gonna talk in the next chapter !! Whose POV do you want to read that in ??!!!
Do u think she'll tell him about the letter ? If she does, what do you think Thomas will do ? Will he be okay with her decision ? Will Teresa tell Sonya ?? How will her new friend react ? 😱😱