~6 Alone~

Lauren was sat in her workplace; McDonald's, on a stool, feeling completely emotionless—sat on the stool with her elbow on one knee, and her chin resting in the palm of her hand.

As she sat in front of the coffee machine, she thought back on her life—thinking back to all of the most memorable memories and moments.

If you asked her to create a timeline of the saddest moments of her life, it would be the easiest task she had ever been asked to do.

2003:

Lauren was only six years old when she moved all the way from California to Miami, Florida.

Her parents had convinced her that the move was just an early birthday gift, but the only catch was that she had to repeat a grade. Which she, being the naive six year old that she was back then, excitedly agreed to move upon hearing that she was receiving an 'early birthday present.'

***

"This is for the best, Laur," her mother whispered.

She had been crying ever since her parents told her that they were moving. The questions that flew through her mind were worrying her beyond belief.

How about all of my friends? What if my grades drop in the new school? What if someone starts to bully me?

Lauren didn't respond, and her mother let out a drawn out sigh. Lauren's face remained buried in her hands.

The room went silent, and all Lauren could hear was her parents whispering to each other.

She sniffled a couple of times, finally starting to calm down when her mother placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"This is just your...early birthday gift. You know...bigger house...better toys."

Lauren finally looked up from her hands.

***

2007:

Ten years old. The year that Lauren's mother had passed away. The year that Lauren had experienced her first real heartbreak.

***

Lauren walked through the front door; only to reveal her father crying hysterically at the dinner table. His sobs resounded and echoed throughout the household—harsher than gunshots.

She dropped her book bag and ran to him.

Her father almost never cried. Yet there he was; crying his eyeballs out for a reason Lauren wasn't quite sure she was ready to hear.

As soon as she approached the table, he stood up, and Lauren wrapped him in the tightest hugsqueezing his waist with all of the strength that she could muster.

She swallowed the lump that was beginning to form in her throat from remorse for her father before speaking up:

"What happened, dad?" she croaked out.

"Your mom."

And it was all that he had to say before tears started welling in Lauren's eyes. He didn't have to say any more. Her mother's death was the only occasion that would ever make her father cry.