~15 Okay~

As Camila walked home at her usual abnormally slow pace, she thought about what her mother would say to her. There was no way for Camila to predict what her mother presumed about Lauren.

The previous night, as well as this morning, Sinu seemed fairly indifferent about the green eyed girl. So maybe, just maybe, things would work out okay.

The moment of absolute terror for Camila is when she approaches her front door step—that moment being that of which Camila is partaking in right now. When she stands in front of her front doorstep, a great deal of anxiety is sent down her spine. The moment that determines her fate for the rest of her night.

Camila took a deep breath, inhaling through her nostrils, letting the air fill up her lunges, before letting the air back out. Slowly, but surely, she unlocked the front door with her key and grasped the doorknob. She closed her eyes, hand still attached to the doorknob, and let her heart beat simmer down before finally turning the doorknob to open the door.

It was strange how nervous she felt. There had always been two instances in which Camila would ever feel this nervous to be at the doorstep to her own home. One being; whenever she knew that she was going to be home alone with her step father. The other being; whenever she didn't do something that her step father had asked of her the morning of. Coming home to her mother was never an instance in which Camila would be nervous at the doorstep of her own home. Her mother being home is now a third instance.

She finally lifted her eyelids and opened the front door—only to reveal an empty foyer. But, before she could mentally revel in the thought of not having to face confrontation with her mother, she heard her name being called from upstairs.

"Mija?" her mom called out, Camila hearing the shuffling and creaking of the floor from upstairs; signaling to her that her mom was making her way towards the staircase.

The brunette quickly plastered a fake smile on her face as soon as her mother came into view.

"Hey...how was your day?" Sinu asked, not even bothering to give Camila a hug. Sinu had always known that Camila was just about the most closed-off person in the world. She would give anything in the world to make her daughter happier, but Camila never wanted to explain what was wrong. She was always trying her best to be a good mother, but it was like Camila was never even trying to make that process easier.

"Good," Camila answered with that daily response that she used every single time that she was ever asked that question. She was so close to attempting a smile, but she decided against it—knowing that it would most likely appear strained.

It stayed quiet for a little bit, both of them looking anywhere but each other. Camila decided to be the first to interject the awkward silence.

"Where is dad?" Camila nervously asked, only referring to her step father as "dad," in fear that he was in the house; listening to their conversation.

"He's not in the house right now. It's just me and you, I promise," Sinu answered.

Camila offered a small nod before they plunged into yet another moment of awkward, awkward, silence. It took roughly a minute for Sinu to break it by speaking up again—and, good lord, that single minute felt like an entire hour.

"Look, Mija," Sinu sighed, their eye contact finally reconnecting, "If this...tension between us, is about Alejandro-"

"This has nothing to do with Alejandro leaving us, mom. Why do you always think that everything that happens to me is about him?" Camila snapped, interrupting her mother, already knowing where that conversation was leading.