~45 To Have Everything~

It was Monday.

"Tell Lauren to come to the party."

"Lauren doesn't even like parties, CheeChee."

"Neither do you, Chanch."

Dinah, Normani, Ally, and Camila were in the cafeteria, eating their lunch. Well...Camila wasn't really eating, but she was trying to a little bit.

"Come on, it'll be fun. And I know that you're always scared that we're going to ditch you, but you know that we won't," Dinah reasoned.

"I don't know," Camila muttered, thoughtfully chewing on her bottom lip. "Who's house is it at again?"

"Lucy Vives," Dinah answered, taking a bite of her peanut butter sandwich. "Apparently her family is like, super rich. So she has a really nice house."

Camila visibly became more nervous at that name, shifting in her seat, "The popular Lucy?"

Dinah looked over at Normani and Ally, who only shrugged. She turned back to Camila and shrugged as well, "I guess."

Camila wanted to roll her eyes. Because of course Dinah, Normani, and Ally didn't know how popular Lucy Vives was, since they were all popular themselves.

"Where is Lauren anyways?"  Ally asked, cavalierly slapping Dinah's hand away from her french fries.

"She's skipping," Camila huffed, now having to juggle her stressful thoughts between Lauren skipping school and the upcoming party, "I don't want her to skip school all of the time but, I mean, I get it...she gets a lot of anxiety from being in school."

"Hey, you two are still doing great, right?" Normani asked, brows furrowing with concern as Camila's mood suddenly dampened, "Right?"

"Yeah, yeah. We are still doing great. It's just," Camila sighed, "I feel bad."

"Hey, don't stress. I mean...think of it like this," Dinah started, throwing her arm around Camila's shoulders, "would you rather be nothing to somebody who has everything, or be everything to somebody who has nothing?"

Dinah drew a blank for a moment, squinting thoughtfully, before she whispered to nobody in particular, "Did that even make sense?"

Camila became distant for a second, evaluating what her tallest friend had just asked. It was such a simple question, so vague that it almost didn't make any sense—so many exceptions that the question could nearly be rendered useless. But in a general sense, if there's one thing that makes sense in the world, then Dinah's right; nobody wants to be nothing to somebody who has everything.

"No," Camila smiled lightly at the thought of being 'everything' to Lauren as she leaned over to peck Dinah's cheek, "it makes perfect sense, CheeChee."

—-

"Are you going to sleepover at Normani's house when it's over?" Lauren asked, allowing Camila to lace their hands together.

"That's what we're planning," Camila responded, not able to resist the urge to touch Lauren's cute face as she reached over to gently place her free hand on Lauren's cheek, brushing her thumb along it for only a moment before she put her hand back down on Lauren's knee.

It was after school.

Camila and Lauren made plans to meet in their local park once school was over, and that's exactly where they found themselves.

They were sat on the same side of a bench. Lauren was facing outward, watching the palm trees swaying in the faint Miami-winter breeze, and Camila was facing inward towards the bench table, watching Lauren watch the palm trees swaying in the faint Miami-winter breeze.