~8 Here~

Not coming to school the previous day was good for Lauren.

Although she was craving to see Camila every single second of the day, it helped to keep her mind busy while not being around the girl.

She was both excited and extremely nervous about what Camila would think about her absence the day before.

She did her daily routine that she had been doing for the past two weeks; grabbing an apple from the cafeteria, and making her way to the nature area of the school.

With an apple as her lunch in one hand, Lauren walked through the doors of the nature area—her heart beating faster with every step.

She found herself in front of the door much sooner than she had first anticipated—her brain was clearly thinking slower than her feet.

Her fingers found the metal door handle while she tried thinking of an excuse for her absence.

She turned the door knob. When she opened the door, she looked over to the tree and saw Camila with her head down with her arms hugging her knees to her chest—looking more fragile than ever.

She sat down next to Camila, causing the brunette to jump a little in a startle as her eyes met the green of Lauren's; revealing the tracks of tears left on her cheeks. Camila scooted further away from Lauren to bury her face back into her hands. A whimper escaped from her lips as her hands went back to covering up her face in order to hide her tears, and the sound of Camila's whimper was enough to effectively freeze Lauren's heart.

"I don't want to be here anymore, Laur," Camila sobbed. Silence filled the air, leaving Lauren to her disheartening thoughts; wondering what Camila could have meant by that. The silence was killing Lauren, and Camila could tell that the silence was confusing.

She figured that Lauren could be the person who could just listen. There was a hesitant feeling in the pit of Camila's stomach, but she simply couldn't hold it in any longer. She needed to let out at least some of her emotions one way or another, so why not now?

"I don't know what I'm going to be in the future, and we're in our fucking Senior year of high school. I can barely keep my grades up and I'm not even in a sport or anything," Camila stated just above a whisper this time, voice cracking. Her next words exited her lips more hesitantly than her last as she took a deep breath, only for it to be released in another frustrating sob, "My step dad abuses me and nobody even knows about it...not even my mom. I'm scared to go to my own fucking house. I come to school as early as I can. Then I stay after school as late as I can, just to avoid coming home."

The abruptness of it all was nothing short of unexpected to Lauren. It took a good moment for her to comprehend it all, and it required even more silence for her to even try to connect it all.

Have you ever seen, or heard, something in which you have to stay completely still in order for you to take it in? A moment that can only be described as either fear or just pure shock. For example, if you are home alone, and you hear a noise coming from downstairs, you stop. You drop everything you're doing and stand or sit completely silent and still in order to take in what had just happened. This, my friend, was exactly what Lauren was experiencing. A moment so full of fear and shock, that she had to sit completely silent and still in order to take in what had just happened.

"I can't do anything right," Camila sniffled, and the silence only continued. It was as if Camila did but did not, want to say what she was preparing herself to say next. I am pleased to inform you that what Camila was about to say may have, or may not have determined her and Lauren's future of ever being together romantically.