EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
—stupid heroic idiots

CHAPTER EIGHT—stupid heroic idiots

🗡🗡🗡

  —TYPICALLY, Judith was an early riser. She'd learned early on that none of her brothers or sisters would wake her up for breakfast since they could care less if someone went hungry. But that was at camp, where she had a comfy bed that didn't rock her into a headache and a set schedule. On the CSS Birmingham, however, everything was different.

  Judith groaned and practically plopped herself out of the bed she slept in to slip on her utility belt and arm guards. Stepping into her boots, she made sure to check the two throwing knives that she'd stolen from Sherman were still embedded inside. She couldn't help but smirk, knowing her brother was going crazy looking for them.

   Sliding her arm guard around until it was comfortable took a moment longer than usual, but as soon as she was satisfied, she hurried off with a glance at the still sea-sick Bryce. She would come get him if it was really necessary, or send a zombie to get him. Maybe the heebie-jeebies would make him forget about his lurching stomach.

  Exiting the cabin area, Judith strode down the corridors, intent on going to the mess hall for food. She narrowly avoided a pipe jutting out of a wall and cursed as steam blew out of one of its seals. She went to cough, but the sound of Clarisse's hushed voice halted her wheeze. A tickle started up in her throat and she tried swallowing to get rid of it. It didn't work.

  Ignoring the sensation, Judith crouched down and leaned toward the metal grating to see through into the boiler room. She sighed as she was made aware of just who Clarisse was talking to ... their father. It was unmistakable. With a deep gravelly voice laced with venom and a broad form that demanded attention and obedience, it had to be him.

  Judith's eyes widened as she heard footsteps behind her, echoing down the hall and loud enough to alert her sister and father to her whereabouts. She looked over her shoulder, seeing Percy making his way down the dark misty corridor. He almost yelped when Judith dragged him down to sit beside her and listen to the private conversation. His eyes were begging to ask her if she'd gone delirious. The hand she was using to cover his mouth peeled off, and she pointed to the wall beside her silently.

  Percy soon caught on and stuck his ear closer to the ventilation barrier.

  "I don't want excuses, little girl!" Ares growled.

  "Y-yes, father," Clarisse mumbled. Judith couldn't recall a time where her sister had sounded so shaken.

  "You don't want to see me mad, do you?"