TWENTY-THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
—stupid father

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE—stupid father

🗡🗡🗡

  —JUDITH'S foot was aching with a throbbing pain, and it was all Zoë Nightshade's fault. Judith's leg shook uncontrollably whenever the group stalled, and it was all Zoë Nightshade's fault. Judith's head pounded with an oncoming migraine, and it was most definitely Zoë Nightshade's fault.

  The sensory overload was almost enough for her to accept Percy's offer of help to get her into the white van. Almost. Ultimately, she refused because she'd already endured the embarrassment of taking the elevator down to the first floor of the museum with Grover. She could get into a stupid van all by herself, no matter how much it hurt to do so.

  Even still, after having smacked his hand away, the son of Poseidon still placed a stabilizing hand against her back as she took that first step into the backseat ( arguably the worst place to put an injured person, but she tried not to whine ). Judith rolled her eyes as she plopped down, finding a duffel bag to elevate her foot on before turning a fierce look on Percy that blatantly said — don't touch me.

  He knew the look all too well.

  The drive wasn't terrible ... for the first few minutes. Judith continued to nurse her foot and chew on ambrosia, making sure to stop whenever her stomach felt like it was on fire ( because, unlike Percy Jackson, she had self control when it came to the stuff. She even saw him reach over to try and sneak some from her while she wasn't looking! ). Bianca continued to shoot her wary glances that seemed almost apologetic — probably feeling bad about how her new leader had just shot her. Thalia was stoic, probably restraining herself from commenting on Zoë's driving techniques. Grover was chewing anxiously on a piece of scrap metal he'd brought along, leaning away from Judith's bloody foot as it nestled next to him in the aisle. And Percy, well Percy was just a nuisance.

  "Does it hurt?"

  The daughter of Ares swung her head around to look him straight in the eye. She gave him the sweetest smile she could muster, even going so far as to bat her eyelashes. He was taken aback by the sudden action, so out of place coming from her. "Take a wild guess."

  His face dropped. "It was a yes or no question," he grumbled, looking out the window beside him at the passing shops and people, trying to seem unbothered.

  "It was a stupid, yes or no question," she corrected, making sure her voice was lower than the running engine. She knew Thalia wouldn't disagree with her or reprimand her and neither would Grover because of his anxiety, but she did not want to give Zoë the satisfaction of agreeing with her on the subject of males.

  "Oh, sorry for being a good friend," she heard him sass as he leaned his temple against the glass next to him. Then — in an annoyingly high voice to try and mock her — he said, "'Why yes, Percy, it does hurt. Thank you for caring enough to ask!'"