TWENTY NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
—stupid biplanes

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE—stupid biplanes

🗡🗡🗡

—AS demigods, it was imperative that to have a huge pool of stamina, absolutely essential. There would be a time in every demigod's life where they needed it. And this, this would be one of those times.

"We will never make it," Zoë said, her voice raspy from the frigid wind. Even as an immortal, it was hard to find the motivation to continue sprinting in this weather. They all stopped for a breather on the sidewalk next to the shoreline, smiling awkwardly at the passerby's. "We are moving too slow. But we cannot leave the Ophiotaurus."

"I don't get it," Percy interjected, hands on his head ( still topped with the rainbow beanie as he had yet to change out of his hobo clothes ). "Why do we have to get there at sunset?"

"The Hesperides are the nymphs of the sunset," Zoë explained. "We can only enter their garden as day changes to night."

"Couldn't they make an exception? Just this once. We're trying to save the world right now, they could show some courtesy," Judith mumbled. "You're their sister."

Zoë hesitated and thought about it for a moment before shaking her head slowly. "Even if they wanted to, it's out of their power."

"What happens if we miss it?" Percy asked.

"Tomorrow is winter solstice. If we miss sunset tonight, we would have to wait until tomorrow evening. And by then, the Olympian Council will be over. We must free Lady Artemis tonight."

"No pressure or anything," Percy huffed to Judith quietly. She conceded with a nod.

"We need a car," Thalia said.

"I am not carrying the fish." Judith held her hands up and stepped away from the shore.

Percy rolled his eyes. "We are not taking Bessie in a car."

Judith shrugged but smirked in amusement then. "Why do you continue to call it Bessie?"

Percy's already flushed cheeks turned redder, knowing the Ophiotaurus probably didn't enjoy the name either. "Force of habit, I guess."

Grover stopped in his tracks. "I've got an idea! The Ophiotaurus can appear in different bodies of water, right?"

"Well, yeah," Percy said. "I mean, he was in Long Island Sound. Then he just popped into the water at Hoover Dam. And now he's here."

"So maybe we could coax him back to Long Island Sound," Grover said. "Then Chiron could help us get him to Olympus."

"But he was following me," the son of Poseidon said. "If I'm not there, would he know where he's going?"