TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
—stupid zoë

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO—stupid zoë

🗡🗡🗡

  —JUDITH and Percy departed with Blackjack as soon as he got them to Washington D.C. Judith had spent a couple excruciating minutes arguing that it was a dumb move since they couldn't reveal themselves yet and he was their only ride. But of course, Percy felt too bad for the pegasus and didn't want him passing out midair.

  "And what do you suppose we do when they decide to drive to West Virginia next, doofus?" Judith asked as they watched Blackjack soar off.

  "I think I can pull a few strings with Annabeth's invisibility cap. Don't worry about it, Judy Moody." Percy clapped her on the back as he passed her. The girl gritted her teeth and followed after him.

  "Don't call me that. And don't touch me," she warned.

  "So touchy," he rolled his eyes.

  "You know, I regret my decision coming with you," she said as they started to follow far behind the quest group. They made sure to keep to the shadows just because they only had one invisibility cap, only proving their theories that they were the two shadows that were spoken about in the prophecy.

  "But you did, and now you're stuck with me," he said cheekily as he glanced back at her. He paused as he saw something over her shoulder. Judith looked over his concerned face once before following his gaze, seeing a man with a buzzcut climbing out of a black sedan.

  The scene wouldn't have bothered her that much, but she'd noticed the car back in New Jersey and the guy getting out of the car was covered head to toe in black and had shades over his eyes. He screamed suspicious.

  The two demigods scowled as he turned to look over his shoulder at the surrounding street, revealing a portion of his face.

  "Dr. Thorn," they both muttered.

  "I'm going after him." Percy changed his course and started to follow the man instead of the quest group as he trekked away. He placed Annabeth's hat on his head and disappeared.

  "Wait, I don't have one. I can't just go in there," Judith said, reaching out for where Percy had been but only swiped at air.

  A voice came from her right and she spun to it, her eyes searching for anything, but nothing even shimmered. "You keep an eye on our friends, and I'll follow Dr. Thorn. He's up to something."

  Judith grumbled about not having friends, but she still sensed his presence. "Whatever. Don't get caught."

  "I won't. I'll catch up with you."

  Then she felt a slight breeze signaling his departure. She would kill him if he got caught. She didn't want to have to deal with getting him out of trouble.