Chapter 5: The Devil's Playground

"A werewolf!?" Neil asked again.

Liam took a defensive position, his shoulders were hunched and his body began to tremble involuntarily. He debated on  either shifting into his wolf and running again, but he couldn't do that. Not when the humans already knew the truth about their existence...

Liam screwed up big time. Humans weren't supposed to know of their existence. Now because of him, they had to die because they knew too much.  Humans were never supposed to know that supernatural creatures existed. If they were ever to find out, it was the werewolf's responsibility to kill the human. But Liam didn't have it in him to kill anybody. 

Neil barked out a laugh and shook his head in disbelief.

"This can't be real. You've got to be fucking kidding me! " Neil cried out before pulling out a gun from the inside of his sleeve jacket.

"Neil no!" Adam protested instantly stepping in front of Liam to protect him. 

"Step out of the way Adam. He's strong enough to kill us both on the spot if we don't act quick enough."

"Don't do it, maybe he won't kill us! Put that gun away before mom or  dad catches you with it!" Adam snapped, slapping the gun away from his hand so hard that it flew across the room. Neil threw up his hands in exasperation before shooting out his colorful vocabulary. When he calmed down, he stomped towards Liam and instantly had him back against the wall again. 

"The least he owes us is a bloody explanation. If you're a werewolf, are there more of you out there?" He barked out, pacing in circles. Liam had no choice but to answer him. He was weak, if he was going to hell now he might as go all the way. He slowly nodded his head once.

"Fucking shit." He yelled, making Liam wince, scared that the human was going to hit him.

"If your kind exists, does that mean that there are also vampires out there?" Liam cocked a brow at that. And though vampires did exist, he has yet to see one. So all he did, was nod his head once again in response. 

"How does your world work?" Neil bit out, pressing his arm closer to Liam's neck almost cutting off his air circulation.

"Maybe, if you let him go, he'll explain everything once he's able to breathe properly Neil!" Adam demanded. Neil sighed, and let poor Liam go who let out a sharp breath of relief before slumping down to the ground filled with layers of hay in defeat.

"If you're a werewolf, then why didn't you kill us for knowing your kind existed yet?"

Liam rubbed the nape of his neck before speaking... "Its hard to explain." He whispered.

"We've got nothing but time." Neil retorted sharply. Feeling the vein in his neck throb as his anger slowly began to rise up through the surface. 

"In our world, we're not like wolves that run around in the forest underneath a full moon. Since we're shifters, we have to have order and restrictions to live. Like a wolf pack, werewolves run in a society. We have to rely and depend on each other like a family. The leader of the entire pack is known as an alpha, the second in command is the beta, and the third in command is the omega. And the lowest rank in the pack are the subs." 

Liam took a shaky breath before continuing.

"And the most dangerous kinds of were shifter are the rogues. They are the ones who have no pack, and run wild on their own without restriction and without order. Sometimes, when rogues get too wild they can't shift back into their human forms." He whispered.

"So...from what you're saying which one are you?" Neil asked,  trying to be patient. Liam sucked in a breath.

"I'm a sub." He whimpered, trying to look anywhere but at the humans in front of him, it was embarrassing enough.

"If you're a sub, than why are you not with your pack?" Neil asked, much more gently this time as his own guilt began to sink in. Liam couldn't fight back the tears anymore, as the memories came flooding through.

"I was kicked out of my pack, for not having a mate." He choked out the last word. Liam slapped both of his hands over face as he burst into tears. This was all too much for him.  Both Neil and Adam's eyes widened when he started crying.  Neil felt bad for making Liam cry like that. He was in a weak, emotional state and he just had to stomp all over him like that for nothing. But despite that, he couldn't help but admit that he was scared of Liam, even if he didn't show it. And though Liam didn't look like it...the boy is a werewolf.

He was the oldest sibling in his family, and when his dad wasn't around it was his responsibility to look after the farm and the barn house. And for the first time in his life, he didn't know what to do. He couldn't tell his dad about Liam...or anybody else for that matter they'll think he's crazy. He couldn't report it to the cops, they might take him to a research center and do unimaginable things to Liam to explain his existence. He couldn't go back to hid old pack, because it looks like Liam had a bad enough of a experience there. Neil was at a loss, he didn't know what to do and that scared him the most. It scared him even more when Liam started crying... He doesn't do well with cryers.  He took a mental note to never bring up the word 'mate' again. No matter what that is, he thought it was something that had to with Australia but obviously it wasn't something deeper and more touchy feeling with Liam. And though he wanted to find out what that was, he'd rather find out for himself by doing his own little research. 

"Adam. Look after him, I need to go think." He said, making Adam nod once while heading straight towards Liam and tried comforting the badly shaken boy. Unlike Neil, his brother was gay. And Neil could already tell that Adam took a liking to Liam. And even though, he himself wasn't gay, he didn't understand why Adam being so close to Liam bothered him so much. He clenched his fists at his sides, and willed himself to look away from them and headed back into the house, up the stairs, and straight into his room. He looked the door shut and sat in his computer desk chair and got to work.

He went to google, and literally looked up the word  'mate'. But he wasn't getting any results that he wanted, all he got was that it was some kind of freaking beverage from South America. He looked it up in urban dictionary website, and just like he thought, it was a slang term in Australia. Neil wanted to believe that what he has just been told was a lie. That there were no such things as vampires, or werewolves. He was the kind of guy that if he can see, or touch it then its there. But this...was something else.

He gulped and his fingers were trembling when he typed in the phrase that he thought would work...'werewolf mate'. He closed his eyes and pressed 'enter.' When he waited for the results to load up on his screen he rolled his eyes and scoffed at them. It was just like he thought...it couldn't possibly be real. All the results that he got were nothing but werewolf fan fiction on wattpad by girls with nothing to do. He chuckled when he saw a whole list of them. 

But then something caught his eye.

Something that stood out out of the rest.

Mates are for life

Werewolves know the instant they set their eyes on their mate that, that is their mate. Some notice even before their wolf is acting up but they themselves don't even know why. When they catch the one scent that call out to their inner wolf, their wolf just wants their mate. Their soul mate. Werewolf relationships with their mates is a very strong bond, stronger than any human bond. Its unbreakable and it is meant for life.

Once a werewolf finds his mate. He marks their mate to let others know that they are theirs for the taking.

Neill had to look away from the screen. The idea of it reminded him of a dog marking his territory on a tree whenever he had to use the bathroom. He looked back to the screen and continued to read...

Once a wolf finds their  mate, they would never let their mate be claimed by another shifter, this would only happen if they are kidnapped or violated. Neil  had to stop reading, as he tried to grasp the principle of the thing. 

Werewolves are for real.