How These Messed Up Things Met

Allison

"Allison!"

I turned around to find Mia behind me. "Sup."

Mia panted, out of breath. "The kids from Riverside are here!" She dragged me towards the nearest window and pointed outside. Outside were dozens of students, standing awkwardly. Buses parked in front of our school.

I only shrugged. "So?"

Mia seemed like she wanted to scream. "So? So? SO WE GET TO MEET NEW PEOPLE!"

I laughed and arched my eyebrows. "Seems like someone had some fun with their text pal." Her text pal was a girl named Nina. Mia let me talk to her once and she seemed very sweet. Good for her, right? I was stuck with a charming but annoying idiot.

Suddenly, the loudspeaker came on. "Hello students! The text pals have arrived! If you have not known yet, the students are from Riverside High School. All tenth graders please report to your home room so we can call you to meet them. Thank you."

Mia literally let out a scream and immediately covered her mouth, blushing. She grabbed my hand. "Come on Allison! Let's go!" Without waiting for my answer, she ran.

Naturally, I was dragged with her.

We arrived at homeroom and took our seats. I looked at my classmates. Some were nervous, some seemed excited, some just didn't care. I wish I didn't care but my heart was beating out of my chest. I could finally meet my text pal without fearing he was so drug dealer or something.

Mr. Potter came into the room. "Everyone take your seats!" That didn't make sense cause we were all seated already. "Good. Everyone be quiet so we can listen to the announcements." He would have glared at David but he didn't. I looked towards David in the back. He was smiling and excited.

"Room 237, 256, and 342 please report to the front side of the building," the loudspeaker boomed.

The class screamed, obviously excited. Mr. Potter gave a strict glare and everyone shut-up. "Good. I know you are soon to be eleventh graders so settle down. Please line up in two neat lines." Normally, it would take forever to line up but because everyone was excited, we did it quickly and quietly. Mr. Potter lead us downstairs and to the main door, which opened to the front of the school. The other classes were behind or next to us.

The three teachers, Mr. Potter, Mrs. Wild, and Ms. Scurwaski stood in front of the three classes, waiting for everyone to calm down.

"Tenth graders! Chill! Or you aren't meeting your text pal," Mrs. Wild cried. Yup. Mrs. Wild was totally chill.

Ms. Scurwaski added, "Yes. Yes. Everyone quiet! We have rules for zhis meeting!" I scrunched my nose at her accent. I wasn't even sure what it was. Russian? French? I dunno.

Mr. Potter of course was the one who lost his patience. He stomped his feet, which got everyone's attention. "EVERYONE LISTEN UP! WE'RE GOING TO OPEN THE DOORS AND YOU MUST CAREFULLY GET OUT! THE GATES HAVE BEEN CLOSED. WANDER AROUND UNTIL YOU MEET YOUR TEXT PAL. YOU HAVE THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE THE FESTIVAL BEGINS."

Everyone was silent and nodded their heads. We got thirty minutes to find our text pal and learn about him or her and then we would have to show them around to the festival. The festival was basically the cheap version of an end of the year party. But then again, the real version is cheaper.

The three teachers unlocked the big red doors and the sunlight came pouring in. I gave a look at Mia, telling her to stick together. However, the hoard of tenth graders swarming to get outdoors made me lose her.

Finally making the way out of the crowd, I took a deep breath, calming myself. I scanned the area. It was a grassy area with a few trees and a few benches. Most of the crowd was at the right. I was at the left.

I wasn't sure what to look for.

I decided to run towards where most of the people were. Immediately I stopped just at the crowd. I looked her a person who didn't seem to be in my school. There was a girl who stood a few feet away from me. She had hazel hair with blond. I ran towards her and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Hi," I said.

The girl turned towards me, smiling. "Hi. Are you my text pal?"

I smiled back. Gotta make a good first impression. "Oh no. My text pal is a boy. I was just wondering if you could help me find him."

"Oh. Sure! What's his name?"

"Ashton Thompson."

The girl's eyes widened and she gasped. She let out a scream. I widened my eyes, wanting to step back. This was awkward.

She seemed out of breath. "A-Ashton Thompson?!"

I nodded. "Y-yea."

Her mouth turned into a wide O. "OH MY GOSH! GUYS I FOUND HER! ITS ASHTON'S TEXT PAL!!"

The whole crowd turned towards the girl and I. The rushed over, immediately surrounding me. The crowd screamed and gasped. Pointing and staring. Suddenly a voice from the back said, "Excuse me."

Everyone fell silent and let the owner of the voice go through the crowd. Everyone stared, looking at the owner of the voice and me.

It was a boy.

He wore a t-shirt, a blue zipper sweatshirt, dark jeans, and sneakers. He had soft dark brown hair and green eyes. His feature were sharp, his cheekbones high. Unsurprisingly, he was tall- at least 6'. His skin seemed naturally tan. With his hands in his pocket jeans and his head tilted to one side, I knew he was studying me too.

Our eyes met and he began to grin. I couldn't help but smile back.

It was Ashton Thompson.