How This Messed Up Thing Is Messily Beautiful

Allison

I stood in front of the Greenside Theater and took a deep breath. I had texted Ashton earlier and he said to meet him at the front entrance.

Outside, it seemed to be pretty empty. The usual crowd of movie watchers, photographers, and tourists weren't standing outside. Maybe there was some movie night in the park.

I headed towards the entrance, my heart thumping loudly. Why was this happening?

Looking around, Ashton was nowhere to be seen. Maybe he was running late.

I clutched the tiny handbag at my side. I was overreacting. He was going to come. Why was I so nervous?

Suddenly a tall boy with ruffled brown hair and green eyes walked over to me. He wore jeans, a white t-shirt, and a gray windbreaker. There was just one difference between his regular look: the glasses. I knew Ashton wore contacts but his glasses made him cuter- or maybe cause I was nervous. Why was I nervous? I've seen him like this before.

I smiled, "Hey."

Ashton did his signature half smile but it seemed different. There was something he was holding back. "Hey."

I shook the thought of regret away. This was going to be a good and normal date/hangout, I was just feeling overwhelmed. Just normal and casual butterflies. "So-"

Ashton stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Yeah."

"Should we head in?" I tilted my head towards the theater.

"NO!" Ashton put his hands up to stop me. He then gave me a sheepish smile. "I mean that we really shouldn't."

My butterflies suddenly disappeared and were replaced by someone drumming on my heart. Was he canceling? I knitted my eyebrows. "What do you mean-"

"I MEAN-" He face-palmed. "I'm not saying we should cancel. NO, I would never. It's just-" He sighed. "How about we go somewhere else? Don't you think movies are um, overrated?"

This time, I was just confused. Obviously, he was trying to hide something from me-but he knew how much I hated it when people hid things from me. "I don't understand Ash. What are you saying?" It came out a bit ruder than I intended and I regretted it but it was too late. "I don't see anything wrong with movies."

I reached for the door of the entrance and Ashton tried to stop me but I was angry and confused. I shooed his hand away and pulled at the door.

It was locked.

"I'm sorry Allie."

"What?" The theater was never closed on weekends.

Ashton bit his lip and then told me the truth. "The theater is closing down."

I closed my eyes. No, no it wasn't. "But how? W-why?"

"They don't have enough money to keep it running. Nobody goes out to watch movies anymore when they can do it in the comfort of their own home. Besides, this theater can't compete with the newer ones around this neighborhood." Ashton put his hand on my shoulder and I could hear him sigh heavily. "I'm sorry Allie. I didn't know."

I kept my eyes closed shut and bit my lip. This was all a lie. Except, it wasn't. I tried to stop the tears from flowing but it was too late. Ashton was already wiping them away with his fingers.

This theater cheered me up when my parents couldn't. I knew they were busy and they were trying their best... but when I had nothing to do this was it. The smell of fresh popcorn, the sound of squeaky chairs, the movie that brings you hope that there's more to the world than you can imagine. Occasionally I went with Mia but she had things to do, places to see, siblings to take care of. I had nothing to do and no parents to tell me to do something. I knew they cared, I knew they loved me, they reminded me, told me "We're trying Allie-bear, okay?" My dad would then smile and go to his computer, praying that my mom would feel better. Sometimes I would go to the theater to just sit and watch people go by. I've met and seen some interesting people that way. I used to be a very shy person, I think the theater opened me up, showed me a reality of things. And I believe that's what growing up is really about... seeing the reality of things but having enough imagination and creativity to have hope.