How This Messed Up Thing Isn't That Messed Up

The song makes it wonderful. :)
Ashton

"ASHTON! WAKE UP!"

I groaned and rubbed my eyes. I turned over and found the face of Jayson staring at me. "What?"

He held my phone up high, which was ringing. "Someone is calling you."

I took the phone from him. I blinked a few times before I saw who was calling me and I gasped. "Get out Jayson."

He pouted. "Why?"

"Just get out!"

Jayson groaned and went out the door, shutting the door behind him.

As soon as Jayson left, I tapped the green button on my phone. "Hello?"

The voice on the other end of the phone said, "Hey Ash."

"Ello Allison."

"Gosh, are you still sleeping? I called you like 5 times. It's 11 AM."

"Oh, shut-up. I had basketball practice yesterday."

"Riiight. Anyways, your friends and mine are deciding to go to the park and then the movies. You wanna come?"

"Sure. What time and what place are we meeting?"

"Um, probably around 3. And at Greenside park. Near the lake."

"Sure. I'll be there."

"Great. Now get up you sleepy head!" There was laughter from the other side.

I smiled. "Okay okay. Fine. Bye."

"Bye idiot."

The call ended and I placed my phone on the nightstand. I got out of bed and stretched, yawning.

Opening the door, I found Jayson staring right at me. No doubt he was listening to the whole conversation.

"Ooh Ashton has a girlfriend!"

I rolled my eyes. "Shut-up."

• • •

I waited at the nearby bus stop with a bag over my shoulder. It took me about a 10-minute bus ride to get to Greenside park. After arriving at one of the main entrances, I took a secret short-cut only my friends and I knew about to our hangout place near the lake.

The lake was never clean. When I was a kid, I don't remember a single time when the lake wasn't covered in moss or lily pads or leaves. However, there was always a wooden fence surrounding the perimeter of the lake. I still remember throwing bread crumbs to the swans as a kid.

And of course, Allison was the first to arrive.

She sat on one of the benches next to the lake with her phone out. Once in a while, she looked up and then turned back down to her phone.

Sliding down next to her, I said, "Sup."

She looked up and stared at me. "The sky."