{moving day, a short story}

I wake up to the sun shining, birds chirping, and an ache in my back

I wake up to the sun shining, birds chirping, and an ache in my back. I sit up and look over at my best friend Hailey. I rub my aching back; I wish they had packed the mattresses last. I sigh and look around my now empty room. As much as I hate this place, I'm going to miss it. I've made so many awesome memories here.

After studying my room for the last time, I decide to wake up Hailey, my best friend since the age of two. She groans when I nudge her and rolls over onto her other side. I smirk and roll on top of her. She shrieks and tries to squirm away but I don't budge.

I laugh as she starts to fake wheeze, she tries squirming again but I am determined to stay on her. After a minute or so I decide that I've had enough and get up. As I am standing, I grab her blankets and run out of my room laughing. She yells at me but I continue to run throughout my empty house until I run into my parents in the kitchen.

"I see you're up, I guess you're ready to go then?" My dad says sarcastically. I roll my eyes and tell him that I'll be ready within the hour. Hailey suddenly appears and tackles me to the ground, snatching her blankets.

"Good morning Michelle and David!" She says once she's standing.

"Someone's sucking up." I murmur as I slowly stand.

"What was that?" Hailey asks, I say nothing and start to walk back downstairs to get changed and do my makeup.

Hailey follows me down to my room and she packs her blankets as I get changed into my favourite pair of floral printed leggings, a loose light blue shirt and gray cardigan. I grab my makeup bag and head to the washroom. Pros of being an only child: no one to fight over the bathroom with.

I apply a small amount of makeup to my pale face and pull my long brown hair into a ponytail before using the toilette.

Hailey decided that she would just wear her pajamas home so she's sitting on my sleeping bag on her phone. I sit down next to her and lean my head on her shoulder. I stretch my long legs out and point my toes, Hailey shifts and does the same, but her legs only reach to my ankles because she's eight inches shorter than me.

"I'm going to miss you," I say looking down, I awkwardly play with a loose string on my sleeping bag; I suck at talking about my feelings.

"I'll miss you too. We're going to Skype at least once a week, okay?" She says hugging me. I nod into her shoulder and hold back tears. After a moment we get up, grab our things and head upstairs.

I put on my comfy flats and Hailey slides on her shoes. We head outside and the grey cloudy skies of Corner Brook reflect how I feel; I duck my head as a raindrop lands on my nose, typical weather here. I see my parents packing their stuff into our moving truck, I ignore their wave and continue over to my car and put our stuff down in the back seat.

Hailey and I walk over to my parents who tell us that they are leaving now. I hug them and they hug Hailey. They tell me the name of the restaurant we're going to meet up at then my dad gets in the moving truck and my mom gets into our van. Hailey and I walk over to my car as my parents leave the driveway. We turn up the radio once inside and jam out one last time as I drive her home.

As we approach her house, I turn the music down and tell her, "Hailey, you're the best friend that I've ever had. You've always been there for me and I love you so much for it. I mean you have to be pretty dedicated to stick with me and my craziness for 17 years. I don't even know how to put into words how much I will miss you. You've changed my life so much."

I pull into her driveway and I look over to see that she is crying, "I'm going to miss you so much, Katie!" She says and she starts to sob. I begin to tear up and I lean over to try to hug her, but I have too much stuff in the way. I laugh and get out of my car so that we can hug properly.

We stand in front of my car hugging for a while before her parents come out to say goodbye to me. Once her parents are done hugging me, Hailey heaves herself onto me. We stand there, silently crying, until her parents pull us apart.

"Bye Hailey," I say.

"Bye Katie," she whispers.

I get in my car and wave goodbye as I drive down the road, I turn my music up to its max volume all in an effort to distract myself from the sadness of leaving my hometown forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This short story is based off of the above photo, but is completely my idea and work.

Here's today's second update, hope you enjoy!

Comment, vote, follow!

May your writing, or reading, be as marvellous as you are!

-Emily