{unexpected friends, a short story}

"It's over! I'm done! I'm leaving!" I shout and slam the door behind me. I hurry down the stairs of the old, broken porch.

"Hope! Come back! I swear it won't happen again!" My now ex-boyfriend shouts as I get into a cab. I hand the driver all of my money except for twenty dollars.

"Take me as far as this will go," I tell him, and he nods. My ex runs up to the cab and tries to get in, but I lock the doors and tell the driver to hurry.

I look out the back window to see him fall to his knees and punch the ground.

I had to get away. I think to myself as I turn around. If I stayed, it would be me he'd be punching.

"Are you okay Hun? Want me to take you to a shelter or something?" The driver asks while we're at a stop light.

"No, take me as far as my money will go," I say as I move my suitcase to the other side of the car.

As we pull onto the highway, I start to feel tired. I close my eyes and slowly fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

I wake from my nightmare and quickly sit up. After calming myself down, I ask the driver where we are.

"About an hour outside of Hudson, Quebec," he tells me. I sigh and look out the window.

"I think I'll walk from here," I say and tell him to pull over.

"If you stay on this road, it will take you right into Hudson," he says as I pull my suitcase out of the car. I thank him and wave as the cab turns around and heads back the way we came.

After about half an hour of walking, I decide to rest. I sit on my suitcase and wonder what I will do, now that I'm gone.

After a few moments, a car comes along and slows to a stop in front of me.

"Where you going?" The woman in the passenger seat asks, with a slight accent.

Hesitantly, I tell her. She says that they're from there and will drive me into town.

Thankful for the free ride, I get inside and see that the driver is also a woman. We make small talk, and I tell them where I'm from and why I'm going to Hudson.

This is how I met my best friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, Wattpaders! 

I hope everyone is having a great holiday and I hope you all enjoyed!

Comment, vote, follow

May your writing, or reading, be as marvellous as you are!

-Emily