Goodbye Flashpoint

First thing the following morning, Barry and Parker rounded the kids up and into the car for a final trip to his parent's house. On the way there, he was silent, listening to the pointless conversations between the kids and storing every memory he could about them into his head. 

Some notable favorites happened when Nathan wondered if, around Halloween time, Parker would take them to a haunted house, to which she responded, "What's wrong with the one we live in?"

"Mommy, I need a favor," said Evelyn; Barry's next favorite conversation. 

"Should I just add this to the list of things I've already done, including, give you life?" asked Parker tiredly. 

"Yes?" wondered Evelyn. 

"What do you need?"

"When you and Daddy come back, can you bring back chocolate milk?"

"Nestle or Oberwise?"

"Both," chimed Nathan and Evelyn. 

"You are my babies."

For the last time, Barry also held her hand when they walked up the lawn into his parent's house. He took her hand, then looked at her. She offered a small smile. She wasn't going to pull away. She knew it was likely the last time he was going to ever hold a hand that felt similar to his girl's. 

Not a minute with his parents, and they knew something was wrong. After hugging on the kids and Parker, Henry was the first to notice and inquire if his son was all right. 

"Yeah, I just wanted to see you guys one more time," admitted Barry. 

"What does that mean?" asked Henry. 

"Nothing. Nothing. I, uh..." stuttered Barry. 

Parker returned to his side, locking their hands together. She rubbed the back of his hand with her thumb, offering more support than he could have ever wished or asked for by just being next to him.  

Gaining the courage to look at his parents, he said, "These last three months have been the best, getting to spend time with you. I just wanted you to know how grateful I am, to both of you, to be your son."

"Barry, you're scaring me," frowned Nora. 

"There's nothing to be afraid of. Promise," said Barry, letting go of Parker to engulf both his parents in a tight hug. "I just I love you both."

When they broke apart, unwillingly, Parker wondered, "Hey, can you guys watch the kids for the day?"

"That's fine," said Nora, though she was still confused. 

Evelyn tugged on Barry's hand. "Where are you going, Daddy?"

Barry took a deep breath, squatting to her height. He held her small hand in his own. He brushed her curly black hair behind her ears. He admired every part of her face, every part of himself and his wife that he saw in her features. 

"It doesn't matter, Evelyn Rory," he said softly. He brought Nathan close, too. "Daddy just needs you to know how happy and privileged I am to have met you. It was an honest dream come true to be able to laugh with you, and smile with you, and get big hugs and kisses from you. You both know that, right?"

"I know, Daddy," promised Evelyn. 

Barry wrapped both kids in his arms. He almost wished he hadn't. Stuck in their embrace, the last thing on Earth he wanted to do was let them go. 

"Daddy?" asked Nathan. 

"Yeah, bud?"

"I love you."