Baby's First Christmas

Barry found himself in the Training Room with Jay when he returned to his place in the timeline, listening to how he had run into the future somehow and how he could never return. Jay preached about things Parker had already thrown into his head. 

He pretended to listen, nodding here and there, giving some frowns-- selling the story. Inside of his head, he decided his plan. He was going to find out how they ended up at that point, Savitar killing Iris, and he was going to change it.

Jay thought he reached Barry's sense. He said his goodbyes to Barry, wishing him luck, then he returned back to Earth-3.  

Barry returned to the Cortex. 

"Hey, where were you?" asked Cisco. "You and Jay disappeared for a second."

Barry smiled. He practically skipped to the front of the Cortex, addressing his friends and his family with the happiest news since he returned from Flashpoint. He scooped Melody from the arms of Iris, holding her tightly to his chest.

Caitlin looked around to the equally confused faces of her friends. "Barry?" she asked. 

"I... I found her," he told them. 

"Found who?" wondered Caitlin softly.

"She found me, really," corrected Barry under his breath. "The Speed Force saved her, you guys. She's--"

"Parker's still alive?" breathed Cisco. 

Barry nodded enthusiastically. "Somehow, she's alive in the Speed Force. She caught me when I was running back home and we... Uh, talked."

Caitlin raised her brow. 

"She says hi," added Barry sheepishly. 

No one said much, other than small smiles and a few glances cast to the ceiling, as if she was watching over them. In all likelihood, she probably was. 

"That's it?" said Cisco flatly. His voice raised with every word. "That's it?! She's dead, but she's alive, in the Speed Force, and all I get is lousy, 'Hi' from my girl?! No. Uh-huh. Take me to her right now. I have to see her."

"I want to, Cisco, but I can't. I don't know where she is, she can't communicate with you, just speedsters," explained Barry. 

"Well, we know what we have to do, right?" asked Iris. 

"We have to save her," said Cisco. 

"She doesn't want to be, and we can't. She has decided she has to stay there and fix my stupid decisions to the timeline," he told them. 

"Of which there are many," breathed Cisco.

Barry tried to keep the talk optimistic. He said to Melody, "At the least, now we know we have Mommy watching over us, and that's the best Christmas present I could have wished for you, love."

xxxx

Grandma Esther's eggnog was Barry's best friend for Christmas at the West household. Barry had Melody passed out in one arm, slouching in the red armchair, and he was sipping the crap out of the spiked Christmas delicacy. He watched everyone laughing and enjoying themselves. He was, too, but he felt the sense of emptiness, of longing between everyone collectively. 

"When your Mom first told me about the Grim Reaper hanging over her head, the first thing I thought about was Christmas. A milestone in our relationship is today. It's where she told me she liked me back, and when she told me she was going to marry me... And this Christmas..." Barry was whispering to his baby girl. "This Christmas is a milestone in our relationship, too, because I have you, now. This is your first Christmas."

Joe's girlfriend suddenly excused herself to call her daughter and check in. Everyone else moved quickly and with soft steps to gather around the Christmas tree, where Wally's present was given to him. They all peered at him with utter excitement as he cracked open the box. 

"Oh, no way," gasped Wally, looking to Iris. "No way." 

Kid Flash was granted with his own costume. From Barry, it represented an initiation, of sorts, because Barry was ready to teach. Having Melody was affecting more than his family life, it was affecting his hero life. If there was a way to scoot some of the responsibility to someone just as capable, give Barry a time slot to be with his baby girl, he felt ready to take it. 

The doorbell rang, causing the hunched over team to jump in surprise. Barry shifted Melody more safely in his arm and made it to the door, popping it open. He raised his brow when he discovered it was Julian. 

"Julian," said Barry, surprised. 

Julian handed Barry a present of his own: a key to Barry's old Lab. He told him he could have his job back, if he wanted it. 

Barry was too stunned to answer. Melody did it for him. Having been awoken by the rush of cool air from outside, she decided it was time to coo and reach her little hands for Julian. 

"Oh, no, baby," mumbled Barry. 

Julian raised his hands slightly. "I mean, if you'd like, I'd be happy to take her. She's gorgeous."

Barry chuckled at his baby. He opened the door for Julian to enter the house, then slid Melody into Julian's arms. he ensured to tuck her deeper into her blanket before settling her with Julian.

"Barry, could you come here?" wondered Cisco. 

"What's up?" asked Barry. 

Cisco gestured to the Christmas tree. "So, these are all of Melody's presents."

Barry shook his head at the mass. "Too many."

"My first grandchild is a big deal," defended Joe. 

"My first godchild was a bigger deal," said Cisco, raising his hand to Joe. 

Iris stepped forward with a box, sliding it into Barry's hands. "And this is your present."

"From all of us," added Caitlin cheerfully. 

Barry smiled thankfully. He popped open the gift box and withdrew a red house key. Underneath it was an address. 

"You guys bought me an apartment?" breathed Barry. 

"A house," corrected H.R. proudly. 

"We thought, maybe, it was time you stop being constantly reminded of Parker," suggested Iris. 

Barry was speechless. He stared at the key, imagining what their house would be like, imagining Melody taking her first steps in a house decorated to display the life of her mother, imagining a home

"I even made sure there's an extra room for me," squealed Cisco. 

"I don't know what else to say," breathed Barry, shaking his head. "Thank you. Thank you, guys. You won't regret this."

No words had to be exchanged then, because they understood the gratitude of their dear friend. In giving him a house, they expanded their grief for the loss of Parker and the hope of raising a daughter. It was the best they could do to honor Parker Allen, help to take care of the love of her life, and help raise the beautiful product of an iconic love story. 

Parker Allen, formerly Sylas, was a name that would live on in the history of the Flash. She would be known as an aid to the Flash, the mother of a future hero, and a helpful A.I. named Gideon. To the world, Parker Allen was a normal name. To the world of heroes, Parker Allen was a Legend, forever. 

The End