Chapter 2: The First Day Of The Rest Of My Life

Five days.

Five days had passed and I still hadn't received
any news from Kerrang!Magazine. I wish I could tell you I didn't care, that my busy schedule kept me from engulfing myself in a race of anguished thoughts. That I knew that in no longer than a week, I'd hear the phone ring and answer the call that'd finally start what would become; the first day of the rest of my life.

But this wasn't my reality. Not in the slightest way.

Since the interview, I've only been thinking about one thing. Which was, you guessed it; the interview. On the first night when I arrived home, I was in a total state of bliss. The couple of beers I had chugged down at the bar helped to enhance that feeling, but trust me, when I closed my eyes, I could already see myself in the backstage of a rock concert. From meeting famous bands to solo artists, all while being praised for the amazing writer that I was.

Yeah, I would see that, and a bubble bath filled with champagne.

On the second day, though, I woke up and told myself that in about 5 minutes, I'd hear the phone ring. That it was only a short matter of time. I've repeated this twisted lie to myself throughout the whole day.

Now on the third day, the same thing happened. But the stress became more serious. What if they were just nice to you so they could get rid of you quickly? What if they told the same thing to everybody? Those sentences played in my head constantly.

I guess I enjoyed torturing myself.

And on the fourth day... well... shit got nuts. I didn't go to work because I couldn't handle seeing those grey and depressing walls again; my tiny cubicle that made me feel trapped, so trapped, and so damn miserable. I swear, I couldn't bare the thought of having to stay there any longer. I had tasted freedom, and I wanted more. I had let my mind escape to the wild side, and now it was impossible to go back. My departure speech was ready, and I gladly fantasized about reciting it to the awful piece of shit that my current boss was.

Now? That leaves us with the fifth day. I had just got out of bed, zombie walking towards the shower, throwing clothes everywhere on the way. I can still remember the feeling of the cold water hitting my skin. I shivered deeply as I waited for the temperature to heat up, but that's when I heard a tiny sound. It was hard to know at first, cuz, you know, water and stuff. That thing makes a lot of noise. ​​

Anyway, I heard the tiny sound, and I still can't believe I waited so long to realize it was my phone. This was the moment I've waited for all week and there I was, wondering which bottle of shampoo I should use. I gasped when the resonance became familiar. Without wasting anymore minutes, I hurried out of the shower and ran naked in my apartment, trying to remember where I had put the damn thing. I know, you're imagining stuff. That's okay, I looked absolutely ridiculous.

After soaking the entire surface of my apartment floor, I finally found my phone in the pocket of my coat.

"Hellllllo." I said, or more like shouted. Yeah, I can never do things the right way.

"Mia Lechowski, this is Todd from Kerrang!Magazine."

Oh god. I swear my brain was about to explode. "T-todd, yes!" I shrieked, voice high pitched.

"I'm sure you wondered if we'd call back. We're very sorry for the delay, but we had a lot of things to take into consideration." He paused, but I didn't say anything, I wasn't able to. My soul was stuck in my throat, it really was.

Todd cleared his throat, like business was on. "Well, let's not beat around the bush here. I am very proud to announce that you have been selected to become Kerrang!Magazine's youngest new writer of 2005!"