Chapter 37: It Can't Last Forever (Nothing Can)

Matsuko. My dearest friend.

I missed her every day.

Already weeks had passed since she left us, and life just wasn't the same. Every day and night, I felt her absence. Whether it was her voice that I hallucinated or her shape in a crowd, I think a part of me thought she would just come back, but I realized it wasn't going to happen after a while. Suko was gone. And there was nothing we could do.

On the bright side, Gerard and I were inseparable now, and as much as I didn't want to admit it, not having Suko around made it easier for our relationship. I spent all of my time with the band, and we all grew close to each other. My article was finally starting to form its proper wings, and most of my crippling anxiety was gone. It might be weird to say this, but I think those times had been the happiest of my life. Amongst them, I felt accepted for who I truly was. Even Gerard barely drank anymore. I don't know if being with me had anything to do what that, but I think it did. I felt like I helped him, just like he helped me, too.

It seemed as though it had been wrong, that life could be good after all.

*

Salt Lake City International Airport, Utah

On the morning of August 5th, after the band had just performed a series of outstanding concerts in the mid-west, we had to leave for New York by plane. Today would be their official photoshoot for the cover of Kerrang! Magazine, and if we ever wondered if the end of summer would come - this - was a clear sign of it. I guess we just didn't want to think about it.

I remember it all so well, it was an early sunny morning, and the sky was pearlescent. We had all just gotten out of a taxi, still weary from the night before. I waited patiently near the entrance with my luggage at my feet, knees bent, head resting against the airport's hard-edged grey concrete. The brothers were going back and forth about some matter. I think it was about passports, and something about the bus and where we parked it. Mikey argued we should've instead driven to New York- that the bus could get vandalized if left unprotected. Gerard firmly disagreed; he said he shouldn't worry so much about unimportant things and that the vehicles were perfectly fine right where they were. Frank, him, was annoyed, like he didn't want to be there. Bob and Ray just laughed, but it was probably out of fatigue. I watched the scene in silence; this was typical.

After what seemed like too long, the guys miraculously agreed and thanked the poor taxi driver who had been there the whole time, waiting for his cash. Gerard unhurriedly lit a cigarette, then slid a generous amount of bills in the now impatient man's coat as he apologized for one last time. He ran a hand through his hair as he watched the yellow cab finally driving away. Then he just stood there, but his bandmates didn't. They all picked up their stuff and entered the airport. I had it in mind that I wouldn't move by an inch, that I would wait for Gerard because me and him, that's what we did. We stuck together.

Since the pregnancy fear, I had quit smoking, and I knew Gerard didn't want to smoke near me anymore. I told him I didn't mind but- Gerard... Gerard was, per se, very stubborn.

He eventually crushed his cig with his foot, then picked up his suitcase as he walked towards me.

"So, got your passport?" He asked as he stopped right in front of me.

"I'm all set." I said, holding up my bags to him. I paused, noticing he seemed a bit nervous. "Are you scared of flying?"

He shrugged. "Yeah but, I'll manage. Just sit next to me and I'll be fine."

"Only if I get a window seat." I smiled.

He rolled his eyes. "Why does everybody wants the window seat so bad? I don't get it."