Fireflies

27th day of the fourth moon. Year 879.Writing: Antony, Son of Maximilian

"Can we stop? I can't walk any more" I said and Nick helped me sit beneath a tree with large roots, covered in moss.  The ground was muddy and the air was too humid, making my breathing difficult. "I'll try to start a fire... the trees should cover the smoke" Nick said and started searching for sticks to light them up. "There is too much humidity, it will not work" I warned him but as always he had a trick up his sleeve.

"Not if I have this" He said and revealed a small bottle of crude oil. "I thought you did not get anything but your rifle!" I exclaimed as he shook the bottle to show off. "I stole it... I knew it would come in handy" He bragged and opened the bottle. The liquid fell all over the gathered sticks and after two tries the fire had been lit.

"Good one I suppose." I muttered as I felt the warmth of the fire break down the cold. We both fell silent, waiting for something to happen. I did not know what I was expecting, but there was still a rush in my body. The firewood cracked from the heat of the flames, releasing a burst of sparks that flew up in the air before they disappeared.

"I shouldn't have used the oil" Nick muttered and picked up a stick from the wet ground. "How come?" I asked confused, he had previously said that it would be needed so why reconsider it. "We are already in the outskirts of the Firefly Swamp" He explained but I still could understand his thinking. "What does our location have to do with lighting a fire? I inquired, now hoping for a better answer. "They are called firefly swamps for a reason you know..." He mumbled in annoyance as he continued to mess with the firewood.

"It has to do with magic has it not?" I asked. This was the most sensible explanation I could find. "Partially, yes... A great fire happened here long ago by Humans who used flame throwing machines. I guess they were trying to create more farmland" He said and paused to open a canteen with water which I guessed he had stolen from the garrison. "Did not burn down? I do not see anything burned".

"Here is where magic comes in. The trees somehow absorbed the fire.... no idea how though" Nick explained. After that I started to feel awe when looking at those trees above us. The truth was that we had yet to enter the swamps. I already knew all of what Nick had told me but I enjoyed listening to him talk, there was something in his way that was captivating if not inspiring.

"How is your back? If you can walk then we should start moving" He he said calmly, he did not want to push me but I did not want to look like I was weak. "We can go. I suspect that they will be on us by now" I said, confirming Nick's suspicions on the matter. "Alright then. Let me help y..." He tried to say but he stopped when he saw me stand up on my own. Nick had already done many things about me and it was high time I took care of my own. "Tough bunny..." He mumbled to himself as he was putting out the fire.

I made sure that we had left no traces behind us by dropping some water on the ground to make it more muddy. "I have never thought of that... nice work Anton" Nick complimented me with a smile. I returned the gesture.

Shouting was suddenly heard in the distance from our Human pursuers. "They found out alright" Nick said and started walking in an accelerated pace deeper inwards the swamp. His thinking was smart indeed. The Humans were using dogs as a means to capture us and the swamp would hinder the smelling capabilities. Unfortunately Nick was not excluded from this effect. "Can you do something about the smell?" He asked and covered his nose with both paws.

"I can probably make something from whatever the swamp has but we do not have time" I said sympathetically. It must be horrible for him. Of course I was affected as well but my nose was not so scent sensitive as his."You're right, there's no time. Keep moving" He agreed and pushed himself to ignored the smell. It smelled worse than the fertilizer farmers used for their crops... I thought that used to be disgusting but this claims the title.