Secrets

30th day of the fourth moon. Year 879.Writing: Nick, son of Unknown

The sun was right in front of us, reaching down for the end of the world in order to bring the night. Our little crew had already left the town after our meeting with Eliot without wasting any time, Antony didn't want to stay in that place anymore and I didn't blame him. Seeing something so similar to you being called 'game' and eaten like a delicacy was definitely horrible, I am surprised he hadn't screamed at the merchant or at least become annoyed. Instead he looked like nothing had happened, as if it wasn't bothering him at all.

"Antony, are you alright?" I asked and looked back towards the direction of the town, checking just in case anyone was following us. "Yes, I am perfectly fine" He reassured me but his voice betrayed him, showing how troubled he was. "I know you aren't" I said, returning my look on the road. We would soon have to leave it though, I thought, it would get too crowded from merchants and occasional travelers such as us. "Then why did you ask?" He muttered, not bothering t look at me.

"I.... that's not the point. Can you tell me what's wrong?" I asked, now turning to him. "He's right, we're both worried" Maria said innocently. That obviously hit the spot, making Antony sigh and stop walking. I took one more step before stopping and looking at him, waiting for an explanation. "I don't know what is wrong... Yes I am troubled by what I saw at that market but that is not the source of my concern" He finally said, looking down at his feet with the saddest look I had ever seen on his face.

I didn't say anything, instead I let him continue his monologue in the hopes of making him feel better. "I was thinking about what you had said at the wagon... about this great adventure. It does not feel like one Nick and that is not the worse part, the worse part is that I am entirely ignorant of why it does not" He mumbled, words barely audible as they drifted off in the low afternoon breeze. "I don't know either... I was... too excited, maybe, about the adventure, and said things not entirely true" I admitted, trying to find the right words.

"I believe that this is all too much for me. I am but a scholar who belongs behind his books, not in the road" He said as his expression turned from sad to sorrowful. "I'd hope to say something wise but... Antony look at me, I'm a kid and so is she. You're the grown up here and none of us knows what to do" I said, trying to fake my casual smirk and lift his spirits. "What are you saying? We are doomed to fail whatever purpose we have taken on" He said, staring at me.

"No... I'm saying that you aren't the only one feeling lost" I said, letting my words sink in. "Yeah, I got no idea what we are doing either" Maria filled in, supporting my argument. Antony didn't seem to pay too much attention at what she had said but that sad smile faded away from his face. "So..." He muttered. "... So we continue and see what happens next" I said, placing my paw on his shoulder. "But we know nothing of what awaits us" He protested. Sometimes I thoughts that he simply enjoyed making everything harder.

"You can't predict the future, now move those rabbit feet of yours before I pick you up and carry you to Dover" I said playfully, poking his ribs with my index claw. He winced slightly and a low giggle was heard in response to my advice. "Alright, I will!' He exclaimed in determination and raised his head again. "That's the spirit!" Maria said with a smile on her face as we went back to walking. Our determination, unfortunately, didn't mean that we wouldn't have any more obstacles to face and I really hoped that Antony would realize this before it was too late.

After that the time passed a bit easier than earlier allowing us to enjoy a somewhat relaxed evening. The sun was bow hidden behind the treetops, covering the world in a dim twilight which would soon surrender it's position on the sky to the moon's silver light. I took a deep breath, relishing the fresh air with all it's scents that were flying around, giving the cool breeze a purpose to fulfill. "Look, they are still with us" Antony noticed, pointing with his white paw towards some fireflies. Their light making a contrast to their dimly lit surroundings. "They're beautiful" I muttered, expressing the thoughts of us both. "I wouldn't say that, you're making them mad" Maria said in a somewhat low tone. "Mad? How can the fireflies be mad?" I chuckled. "No. Not the fireflies" She said and paused, taking out the spellbook she was carrying and after searching in it she begun reading.