Lady Maria

28th day of the fourth moon. Year 879.Writing: Nick, son of Unknown

We strolled down the endless valley under the cover of the night, both silent for our own reasons each. I could see that Anton had chosen to carry the burden of killing those men and it was not troubling him. He walked slowly, with less enthusiasm than he did earlier and the excitement of the sword training had faded away, overwhelmed by the sorrow of death that had clouded his head. I looked up to the night sky and a sigh escaped me. The stars were floating magnificently on the sky, accompanying the moon on it's endless journey from the east to the west.

I could try tell Anton to forget those men but he had already made his choice. Even though we were friends we would never have the same perception about the necessity of death. I had learned since I was a kit that if my life was in danger and I had to chose between killed and be killed.... I would chose to take one's life in order to keep my own. This was something that Anton had never experienced before. "What is bothering you?" I asked, breaking the deafening silence of the night. "You will not understand" He replied and looked away towards the river on the far end of the valley.

"Something tells me I will" I insisted and he sighed, I would get an answer because I know that this would help him more than it would help me. "I thought that I would feel better if we got rid of our pursuers but... no, that was not the case" He explained and looked at his paws. "You feel as if you pulled the trigger" I said, incarnating his emotions into words that he couldn't express because he didn't know what he felt. "That would be correct" He admitted. I had come to the realization that whenever he spoke too formally he either had something on his mind of he was sad.

"That feeling is natural for everyone" I said without hasting to answer, this conversation would need time to completely unfold. "Even for you?" He inquired with hope. He wanted a positive answer, he needed to know that what was happening to him wasn't something bad but I couldn't offer such luxury. "Even for me..." I replied but this wasn't the answer he was hoping for. I myself realized that there was a bit hesitation in my voice. "How did you overcame it?".

"The solution to this problem is different for everyone" I replied, how was I going to explain this to him? How was I supposed to tell him that there was no help I could offer to him? "Whatever you mean by that?" He asked now entirely confused by my sayings. I didn't expect him to understand it immediately after all. "I have always been the one pulling the trigger so I know how it is to kill someone but you.... you have no idea and that means that you will have to find an answer to your question on your own" I explained and with every word I said I could see his back curving even more.

"So this was the adventure you spoke of?" He said after a moment of silence. That was a question I didn't expect, this whole thing was devastating to him and his mind was bringing up all the good things it could to make him happy again but his gloom turned them into sad thoughts. "No Anton, I didn't have this in mind.... this has gone far from being an adventure" I said, hating myself for saying this. I had set out to find adventure and I ended up being involved into Human wars. None of us were in a good situation and he knew that.

"Then what is this? What have we gotten ourselves into?" He said and threw his arms up in the air to emphasize, "That is up to us to discover" I said in my attempt to give him an answer but the result was a vague explanation of my thoughts. This was indeed bigger than anything I have been involved. There was nothing in Majula that could have prepared me for what was happening right now. We were inside Human territory, hunted by those who called us to help them and yet we keep moving towards them. "You think we will?" He asked, knowing that there was no answer to his question.

Silence fell between us once again. Only the crickets could be heard somewhere in the distance and water flowing besides the path we were walking on, besides that we were alone in the universe. A fox and a rabbit in the middle of an empty valley. A gentle night breeze started to blow, making me feel a bit cold. This wasn't the important part though. Dark clouds had started to gather on the sky, covering the silver light of the stars. If we didn't make it to Malta soon I am afraid we would have to spend the rest of the night without any shelter.