The Law

6th day of the fifth moon. Year 879.Writing: Nick, son of Unknown

"Quickly! Through here!" One of the humans yelled and kicked open a door. We all charged in, shutting it behind us. I collapsed on a chair, panting. "I knew we could count on you" The tanned man breathed, smiling despite the sweat running down his forehead. "You knew about me?" I narrowed my eyes. Let them play their game for now, I would gut them all if I had to, later.

The man nodded, "Oka informed us of a Blunt in his prison" He stood up and eyed one of his men. They were all holding their weapons tightly, ready to fight. I could smell the desperation in their eyes. "Oka?" I growled and before he could even take a step I had my claws on his neck. "That son of a rutting bitch was working with you?" I growled louder, the soldiers around us froze. They knew that if they moved, their commander would be history.

"H-he was..." The tanned man breathed. I punched him on the stomach, forcing him on his knees. "I am here only because I follow the Law, you are still just a Human and if you try to play commander with me... I'll gut you in an instant" I warned, turning away. The box was still tucked under my jacket safely, my left paw touching it constantly. "Worry not, we are all aware of that" That was not a reassurance for me, but an order to his men not to try doing anything funny with me. Good, he was smart.

I snorted, leaning against the wall. "My name is Ota, the man who you hate so fiercely was my brother" The tanned man explained, rubbing his neck on the spot that my claws had scratched him. I didn't reply, but he knew what I was thinking. "Tell me where the Tower is and I will be on my way" I said calmly, though I was far from that. I wasn't sure that I would hold myself from cutting down a whole tree after I left Dover.

"Do you know where Astoria is?" Ota asked, approaching me with careful, slow steps. "The capital of Astora? No, I've never been there, but I've heard it's on the south end of the continent" I shifted in my place, eyeing the soldiers and then him. Ota took two pieces of paper out of a pocket in his red jacket and showed me the one. "This is the center of the imperial city of Astoria" He explained. A painting and a well made one.

The painting depicted a tower tall enough that it could reach the clouds, built with the greatest marble ever mined out of this earth and glass, ton after ton of glass. These two materials had crafted the tower of legends. "You know the stories, do you not? This is said to be the very first building every built in this continent, the start of all sentient life in Astora. Even us Humans paid respects to it when our King first arrived here" Ota said, the slight shaking of his voice made him sound like a zealot to his king... but after all, he was one.

I could barely hold my surprise, my tail slightly brushing against the dusty floor. "I have heard the stories and I am not in the mood for jests, Ota" I growled, grabbing the piece of paper. "The stories are true and no, unfortunately I am not in that mood either" He shook his head. He was rutting serious. I remained silent, calculating. "Take this, it is a map of the city with a map of how to enter it as well on the back side" Ota said as he handed me the other piece of paper.

I took it without looking at it and shoved it into one of the pockets of my jacket. "Before I leave, I need to know. Do you know the legend? The exact inscription on the statue of life?" I narrowed my eyes, he nodded. "When the law has been invoked in an age of beasts and men. Then nature will unite the two into a heart of magic and beast, to create a man... of magic and machine" Ota spoke, his head lowered to look me in the eyes. He was telling the truth. My grip on the box that contained the magitech core. A heart of magic and machine. I grabbed Ota's cloak and hanged it over my shoulder.

I glanced at Ota and for just a moment, my eyes pierced his shields. Maybe he allowed me to see, but I saw whether he wanted me to or not. He had no faith in me and he hated me as much as I hated him... but he knew that this was the dream of all Blunts, the purpose of every one us. "I want nothing to do wit hany of you" I growled, walking towards the door. "Don't you dare follow me. Tell whoever you work for that I am heading to Astoria to put the Law into effect and nothing more" I said and left before any of the could speak or object.