Song of Fire

29th day of the fourth moon. Year 879.Writing: Antony, Son of Maximilian

I slowly opened my eyes, only to be blinded by the light of the morning sun who's light was passing through the broken roof and landed upon my eyes. I mustered all the strength I had and managed to stand on my two feet, still slightly blinded. "Good morning Anton" Nick said playfully as he yawned, still laying on the ground. "To you as well... what time is it?" I inquired, completely unable to remember where we were. I was too tired and those few hours of sleep I had managed to acquire were not enough to rest my bones.

"It's still morning that's for sure" Another, more feminine voice was heard. I was utterly surprised and for a moment I believed that we had been discovered so I instinctively rushed for my cloak. "Relax Anton it's Maria, come on now" Nick said calmly, chuckling at my reaction to her talking. "Oh of course, forgive me I forgot" I apologized and turned to look at them, both already dressed and ready to continue our journey.

"Don't apologize, it's alright" She said and slightly bowed her head to show her understanding. I sighed and begun gathering my things so that we could leave. Without being able to restrain myself I glanced occasionally at Maria while we were preparing, noticing her outfit more than anything. She was wearing a red cloak with a hood, unlike most girls of her age she had decided to wear something simple and comfortable. "Excuse me but where did you find that staff?" I inquired after noticing the metal staff she was holding in her left hand.

It was not of extreme length nor width but the edge of the object intrigued me, it was similar to a cup in and there were two rings that aligned with each other, creating an empty space on  within them. "I already had it with me, I didn't want to show it though" She shortly explained and then returned to the preparations. Nick on the other hand did not bother assisting us and had decided to head upstairs to take a look at the town. It was outraging, the fact that he let a little girl do the work while he slacked off, wandering around.

"Do you require any assistance with your luggage?" I inquired as kindly as I could. Maria glanced at me momentarily before shaking her head negatively. Without speaking any more I decided to head upstairs and escort my young friend back with us and maybe get him to help. I walked up the staircase to find a lonely little fox sitting on the edge and gazing at the town in front of him. "Is there something bothering you?" I asked but he did not reply immediately. Seconds passed until he decided to stand up and turn his head at me.

"I' fine, thanks" He said and walked right past me, heading back downstairs. This baffled me to say the least but I decided to remain silent in the presence of Maria which I yet did not fully trust with personal issues. Even though we had revealed our true nature to her that did not mean that she had earned my trust, at least not entirely. I walked back downstairs to find them talking to each other. "Are we ready to depart?" I asked, interrupting them. Nick looked at me for a mere second and replied, "Yeah we're fine, let's go".

They picked up their backpacks and went outside, walking past the broken table on which I had left my things. I sighed in annoyance as I took my own backpack and followed them out of the door. I was once again blinded when I found myself on the street but Maria and Nick did not seem to have the same reaction to the light. They had probably already woken up before me. "Where to now?" Maria asked. Nick took a moment to look around before replying.

"Northwest bridge, I think that will lead us to the forest between Malta and Portsmouth" He said and pointed towards the direction of the bridge. "How do you know what town is ahead?" I asked, both confused and interested. "I studied a map I found during the night" He replied as we made our way to the bridge. I remained silent since there was a chance I would sound offensive if I said anything. Both me and Nick had already covered ourselves with our cloaks and for a reason Maria did as well, slightly covering her face but allowing a tiny strand of her black hair escape the red hood.