7 Years Later

Newt was walking through the bustling streets of New York City. Men and women travelled to work. Different shops were selling bread, produce, and pastries. He barely noticed them, busy trying to find a place to stay for the night. Newt pulled his scarf tighter around his neck, the icy air chilling him to the bone. One of the locks on his case flipped open. He blinked and glanced at it, closing it back again. "Must get that fixed." He muttered to himself.

When he'd paused he didn't notice a small figure rush towards him, bumping into him. "Oh, dear, I'm so sorry sir!"

She scrambled to pick up his things. Newt smiled at the gesture. "Here I'll get it, don't worry about..."

He noticed a small wooden 'stick' sticking out of the young woman's pocket. Only, it wasn't a stick. It was a wand.

The woman handed Newt his case and papers, nearly dropping them again when she realized who she'd bumped into. "Newt?"

Newt gaped at her in awe. "Clover?"

Clover smiled widely and set down his case beside him. "I haven't seen you since Hogwarts." I really missed you. You never replied to my letter... She thought to herself but chose not to say.

Newt smiled nervously, he'd remembered the letter, asking him how London was, how the book was going, if he had time to come visit. He never sent a letter back, he had no clue of how to reply. Newt wanted to tell her how much he wanted to see her again, to catch up. He just didn't know how, he had trouble talking to her ever since their last year at Hogwarts, when he realized he didn't just want a friendship. It didn't seem like enough.

"Newt?" He looked up to meet Clover's gaze, his eyes glazed over, his mind elsewhere. She frowned at him in worry.

"Are you alright?" Clover asked, her tone laced with nerves.

Newt smiled goofily and nodded. "Where are you staying?"

"Oh, I have a flat in the city. Are you staying a while?" She questioned curiously.

Newt nodded. He didn't tell her he came to see her, to tell her how he felt since the minute they'd met. That maybe... maybe he loved her. Newt wouldn't tell her quite yet. He hadn't seen her since they were seventeen. A whole seven years ago. Of course, they'd stayed in touch with owling, it was just that he never answered that darn letter.

Clover nodded. "You can stay with me if you want. There's a spare bedroom down the hall..." she trailed off, pondering the thought.

Newt smiled and nodded thankfully. "That sounds, lovely Clover. Thank you."

February 11, 1916

"Newt?"

"Mm?"

Clover and Newt were laying in the grass, right by the Quidditch Pitch, staring up at the sparkling stars. They'd snuck out. To see each other.

"You ever wonder what you'll do once you leave Hogwarts?"

"Yeah. A lot really, now that I think about it. Probably'd have something to do in the Ministry. What about you?"

"Maybe... I'll write a book..."

"I'm sure it would be the best book in the history of the world, Clover."

Clover sat up from the dewy grass laughing. "I seriously doubt that."

Newt sat up to face her, their figures only inches apart. Clover's cheeks went red, Newt leaned closer. Clover avoided his affectionate gaze, her emerald eyes staring at the grass. "I'd better get going before Sprout comes  after me. I'll see you tomorrow, Newt!" Clover smiled and ran off, leaving Newt alone.

Clover really did love Newt, she'd known it herself for years. She had never felt love before she'd met him, and she didn't understand.

"Here, it's not very far from here. We can walk." Clover smiled.

Newt nodded and gently took her hand in his own. For the first time she didn't pull away.

 For the first time she didn't pull away