Chapter 3 - Feyre

Tamlin and Lucien are morons. Complete and utter morons. I've been following them for the entire three day journey from the manor to the portal, cloaking my scent and keeping out of their sight. They didn't even notice.

Now I'm sitting in the trees watching the two strangers Tamlin attacked beating their hides into the ground. It's taking all my self control not to laugh out loud. But as much as I want to, I can't let the two idiots be killed by two random people who came through a portal. They're too damn useful. 

I send my magic out in a calming wave of darkness. It's a useful trick, one I picked up and perfected since leaving the night court. I'm not sure how it works exactly, only that it nullifies any magic in the area except mine for a short period of time. 

I watch the blond girl and the white haired boy, and I see the slight tinge of panic that they both display when they're power slips out of their grasp. I feel slightly bad about that, but it's necessary. 

By contrast, I relish Tamlin's panic. The wild look in his eyes as he stares around the clearing, searching for the male he's now sure is here. "Rhysand!" he shouts, fear, panic and fury mingling in his voice. 

He doesn't stop, he just keeps yelling, his sentences getting less and less comprehensible as he goes on. I roll my eyes. Enough.

I walk out from behind the trees. "Mother bless me Tamlin, SHUT UP!" I say. 

He looks at me, confusion darkening his face for just a moment, then he starts babbling again. "Feyre, I told you to stay at the house! Rhys is here, you must have seen his magic. Go back to the house, the wards are still up, he won't be able to touch you there. Feyre!"

I ignore him and walk towards where the blond female is standing. From the way she carries herself, her darting intuitive glance, I can tell that she's a leader. Tamlin follows me. The white haired male is still standing a short distance away, watching us. I can't tell if he's stopped fighting because he lost his power, or if he's just waiting for the right moment.

Tamlin grabs my arm and spins me towards him. "Feyre, get back to the house, NOW!"

There is wrath in his eyes, and his voice is pure command. No softness, no room for argument. Except for the fact that there is. 

I shove him back, and though I don't mean to I send a bit of power coursing through my limbs. He flies backward several feet and lands with his ass in the mud. 

"You moron"  I say, looking at him. "Rhys isn't here. That was my power, mine. And, for the record, it saved your sorry asses. Without it these lovely people would have slaughtered you. They were playing  with you. Mother bless me Tamlin, give it a damn rest."

To punctuate my statement I send some air coursing towards him. It hardens and anchors him to the ground with invisible bonds. I don't  know how I'll explain this away later, but right now I have bigger issues. Though I know that the two strangers aren't night court, I don't know who they are

I walk to the female. She's eyeing me warily, her eyes piercing me. She gives me a smile sharp enough to split hairs. "Hello," she purrs, "And what can I do for you this fine morning?"

From the way she's speaking I can already tell that questioning her will be useless. She won't give me a true answer, not if she doesn't want to. Instead I send my power out, towards her mind. To keep her distracted while I find a way to break her mental barriers, I ask "Who are you and what do you want here?"

She grins "Why I am Mary, and I'm here because I want to teach you all how to bake apple pies. It'll be swell!" her voice has adopted an odd accent.