Chapter 10 - Feyre

I hate the court of nightmares. I know that Keir deserved what he got, I know it. But still, I can't help but see the blood seeping through his shirt, so like those fae I killed under the mountain. I can tell from the way Rhys is holding me that he understands. I bury my head against his chest, wishing that I could stay there forever. 

But after only a moment Cass clears his throat a little sheepishly. I wipe my tears on Rhys' shirt before I turn to face my court. Celaena is staring at me openly, her eyebrows drawn together as though she's trying to solve a very complex puzzle. I bare my teeth at her and she turns her gaze away. 

I was watching her in the court of nightmares. Keir was only really talking to Rhys anyways, so I let my eyes follow the strange girl around the hall. It sits ill with me how easily she donned the role of a demon, all blades and deadly grins. I don't think she means us harm, but I've been wrong before. I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake bringing her and Aedion here. Perhaps I should have left them with Tamlin. 

Az begins to speak, dragging my attention away from my thoughts. "There's new news from my spies Rhys."

Mor groans. I know how she feels. I just want everything to go away for a while. I want to forget about the war and the courts and ruling. I just want a day to relax with my mate and my family. But we don't usually get what we want. 

Az continues, ignoring the interuption. "There is a group of mortals massing at the wall. It's small, it looks to be less than 50 men, but it may be the beginnings of an army. We aren't sure."

Celaena casts Az a look that I can't decipher. "How do you know? You were at the court of nightmares with us, and you haven't spoken to anyone since we returned."

Az just looks at her without saying a word. It is Cass who finally says, "Az has his ways. Don't worry about it."

I suppose that Az' shadows are not the business of outsiders, but I can see how it irks the girl not to receive a strait answer. But I don't have time for that right now. Right now I have to worry about the newest possible crises. 

"Do you know where the men are from Az?" I ask him.

He nods. "It appears that most of them are from your old village."

I gulp, a horrible suspicion rising in the pit of my stomach. "Then let me go and talk to them. Don't worry" I say, interupting Rhys before he can speak "I won't tell them who I am if it can be avoided. But perhaps I can find out what they want. Maybe this isn't war. Maybe it's something a little more personal."

I see comprehension dawning in Rhys' face. "Your sisters." he breaths. 

I nod. "Maybe."

I hear Cass curse under his breath. Mor's face has lost all it's colour, turning a rather alarming shade of yellow. Even Az looks concerned. The only ones not looking horrified are the newcomers. "Her sisters?" Celaena asks. 

"My sisters." I say. "They were ... taken from our home. Kidnapped, and, and made fae. I don't think my father knows what happened. He would have returned home to an empty house and no explanation. I don't know how it is in your world, but here when things go wrong the mortals tend to blame the fae."

Celaena nods her head as though she understands. "Well," she says, "since your going to be off doing that, I think R - Aedion and I need to start actually looking for whoever it was that made that portal. Any idea where we should start?"

I at once want to kiss and strangle the girl for changing the topic. I suppose to her this isn't a big deal. But to me... It's my fault Elaine and Nesta got taken. My fault. How am I supposed to face my father and tell him that?

I feel Rhys' hand reach out and grab mine. I'm gratefull. He, at least, understands. And he won't tell me that it wasn't my fault, that I'm not to blame. He won't try to supress my pain. He will help me embrace it. And that is the best thing he could do for me. 

Celaena has stopped talking and is looking at us expectantly. I wasn't paying attention to a single word she was saying, but thankfully Az says, "I will help you with your search."

I'm slightly taken aback. So, by the looks on their faces, is everybody else. But Az seems sure, so I shrug. 

Nobody seems to have anymore to say, so I take a deep breath. There's no more postponing it, it's time for me to go. We need this information, and we need it badly. I kiss Rhys, and throught the bond he says "If you need me..."

"I know" I send back before cutting off the connection. 

Then I winnow out. I reemerge in a clearing filled with snow. There are men everywhere, sitting around small fires, sharpening weapons and talking. It takes them a moment to notice me, but when they do I sudenly have 50 ash arrows all pointed at my chest. 

"I'm not here to fight." I say, making my voice deeper, more powerful, "tell me why you are here".

"Stand down!" says a voice from the back of the crowd. 

The arrows all slowly lower, and three men approach me. They stop 10 yards in front of me. I barely contain my gasp. Though I was expecting it, it still hurts to see my fathers face. 

*HAHAHAHAHAHAH! 

         Don't forget to vote and comment! And thank you all for your amazing comments and support. You have no idea how much it means to me!*