Chapter 43 - Feyre

I can't sleep. 

The whole house went to bed hours ago, after spending the whole day catching me up on the situation. Rhys had covered most of the basics back at the cottage, but he had forgotten to mention that Elodine and the others had demanded to be sent home when the wall came down. Officially they said that they wanted to try and raise awareness among the human fighters, but my court is of the opinion that they didn't want to be here when Hybern inevitable took the Night Court. They at least wanted to die at home. I can't say I really blamed them. 

Rhys had also forgotten to mention that Azriel has been sending spy after spy to Hybern's court, trying to figure out a way in, and he's come up completely empty handed. The wall is impenetrable, the magic impossible to dispel. It wasn't a heartening discovery. 

Once everybody had finally run out of depressing news we began discussing where to send our forces, including our new allies. Amren thinks we should focus on protecting Velaris and the surrounding areas. Rhys wants more forces to protect the humans at the wall. Cass thinks we should launch an offensive strike against Hybern himself, and damn his protections. Me, I'm not sure. The oncoming forces seem limitless. Hybern alone we may have been able to beat, but with the addition of all of Prythian's other courts, I don't think we stand a chance. 

At one point over the course of the day Elain put her face in her hands and screamed quietly. Everybody stopped talking to look at her. Once she noticed our attention she said "How can they all be against us? There have to be people in the other courts, people who don't want to fight for Hybern!"

Amren's answer chilled me to the bone. "Of course there are. But it really doesn't matter. In every court but, well, this one, it doesn't matter what you want, what you think. The High Lord's word is your law and your bible. You don't complain, you don't question, you don't rebel, you just obey."

I shudder even now thinking about her cool, matter of fact tone. Like that was normal, like it had always been that way. 

Maybe it always had. 

With so much to think about, I hadn't even been able to close my eyes. Not to mention that sleeping alone, in my old room, felt odd. I couldn't face climbing into Rhys' bed, but the emptiness of my  room left far too much time for thinking. 

So now I'm sitting, wide awake, in this huge empty bed, in this huge empty room. It's a horrible feeling, being alone. Especially when you know that you don't have to be. 

Suddenly I feel something, something I can't really describe. It isn't a sound, but somehow it feels as though I'm hearing it. It's somewhere half way in between a music note and a screech, and it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. I don't know what it is and I don't know what it's coming from, but somehow I know that it's meant for me. That it's calling me. 

I swing my legs out of bed and slip out of my room. The hallway is dark, pitch black, but I summon a small ball of flame to my palm and use it to light the path in front of me. Slowly, quietly, I follow the sound through the house, down hallways and staircases I didn't even know existed. 

Finally it stops, right outside a plain wooden door. I reach out and turn the handle, half expecting something to jump at me when the door swings open. Nothing does. In fact, the room I'm looking into is small and barren. For a moment I think there's nothing inside. 

Until my eyes alight on a small rectangular shape lying in the center of the floor. 

Fear hits me in a wave, memories of the agony the last time I saw this book, the last time I touched it, flooding my mind. I swear the book laughs.

"It's alright liar" it whispers to me, "I won't hurt you again."

I swallow the bile filling my mouth and force myself to enter the room. Once I have the door shuts quietly behind me. I slide to the ground beside the book and say out loud "Why did you call me here?"

"Because I wanted to talk to you liar" the book's voice in my head it light and conversational. It makes he shiver. 

"About what?"

"The plan of course."

"What plan?" I don't even really want to ask, but I feel the words fall from my mouth. Like I don't have a choice but to learn what the book wants to teach me.

"My plan of course."

"What is it"

The book makes a sound in my mind akin to a chuckle. "I can't tell you that silly. You wouldn't do it if I told you!"

It takes me a moment before I can work up the courage to say "Why would I do it in the first place?"

"Because it's the only way to save them."

I feel the world fall out from under me. "Save who?" It's barely a whisper.

The book's answer causes a tear to slip from my eyes "The innocents."

"What do I have to do." The question is out of my lips before I've had time to properly consider. In this war, who is an innocent? Is anybody?

"Bring me to the cauldron and throw me in. Once you've done that, all you have to do is say yes."

I feel a rush on confusion, but push it down. So far, this is the best option I've heard. Even if it is the mystery plan of a egomaniacal book. 

"Ok."

I swear I can feel the contentedness rolling off the book. 

I pull myself to me feet and walk to the door, still shaking a little. Just before I close the door behind me I hear the book say "I'm sorry liar. This is going to hurt you. But it's the only way."

I close the door firmly and flat out run back to my room. 

There will be no sleep tonight. 

Hey all!

I know I just updated yesterday, but I finally decided on an ending for this story and am going to be updating quite frequently now. 

And when we do finally get to the end...

please don't kill me. 

Don't forget to vote and comment below!