Chapter 26 - Feyre

I'm really very sorry for the three Feyre chapters in a row, believe me I was trying to figure out a way that this chapter could work from Aelin's POV, but it just wasn't working out. Next chapter will be from her POV, I promise. 

Tarquin is late, and the longer we have to stand here waiting, the more annoying it becomes. We are all waiting in what can only be called the throne room of the court of nightmares, having already kicked the rest of the court out. I would have preferred to meet in Velaris, but though the king of Hybern knows of it's location, it is still hidden from the rest of Prythian. Still, at least there the whole room doesn't reek of unwashed bodies and alcohol. 

So that leaves us here, standing in this abysmal court. Rhys is on the throne in the center of the dais, the inner circle spread around him. I am in the shadows off to the side. Tarquin didn't ask for an audience with me and Rhys, just Rhys, leading us both to believe that he doesn't know of my new station in the night court. It will most likely come up, but it might be beneficial, at least for a while, if Tarquin doesn't even know that I'm here. 

Suddenly the door at the far end of the room bursts open, revealing Tarquin, Cresseida, and Varian. It surprise's me a bit that he doesn't have any other guards, perhaps that's a good thing. Perhaps it means that he wan'ts his visit here to be peaceful.

Tarquin walks into the throne room, his shoulders tense and his eyes wary. He looks as though he expects to be attacked any moment. He finally comes to a halt before Rhys, and bows his head cordially. 

Rhys nods in return. "Hello Tarquin." he says "It's been a while."

Tarquin's eyes are flicking over the faces before him. When he sees that I am not among them, he smirks just a little. "I had heard that Feyre returned to Spring. How that must have upset you! You seemed so ... close, when you came to visit."

Rhys' face has gone blank, and I think Tarquin recognizes that he's on dangerous ground. Even if he doesn't recognize the danger he's in, he keeps his mouth shut. After a moment I can't stand it any more. I slip out from the shadows behind Tarquin's party, then say "You really should watch where you get your information from Tarquin."

Tarquin whirls to stare at me, his eyes wide. I shoot him a razor sharp smile and wiggle my fingers at him. 

It takes Tarquin only a moment to regain his composure, incidentally the same amount of time it takes Rhys to school his features back to neutrality. "Hello Feyre" Tarquin finally says "I'm so sorry for the confusion. You see, I had believed you had finally seen sense and gotten out of this horrid company. My mistake."

I bare my teeth at the male and say "From where I stand Tarquin, the 'horrid company' as you put it, is located in the Spring Court, not here."

Tarquin looks at me for a moment, then turns his back to me and looks at Rhys. "I assume you know why I'm here." he says.

Rhys stares at him intently for a moment before responding "I have a few idea's, but why don't you lay it out for me. It would just be so much easier."

Cressida growls at my mate, but Tarquin silences her with a gesture. "The book." he says.

"Ah, the book." Rhys says, " I thought it might be that."

"I want it back" Tarquin almost growls, "It needs to be protected from Hybern. "

"And what" Amren snaps from her place beside Rhys "makes you think it is in danger here?"

It is Cressida who replies "You must be kidding."

Amren just smiles, her teeth on full display. 

"Bring it out." Tarquin says, his voice commanding. 

"Not on your life." Amren replies with a sneer.

"Stop!" Rhys says, and everybody does. Then he gestures to Cass "Get the book."

Cass freezes, staring at Rhys, then at me. We both nod, and with a shrug Cass walks out of the room. 

"There" says Rhys "now we're all much happier."

Amren is glaring daggers at him, but he isn't paying her any mind. Instead he's looking at me. Following his gaze, Tarquin and his party look at me. I raise my eyebrows. "Is there something I can help you all with?"

I watch Tarquin's jaw clench in anger. Then he says "You may have free reign to speak to Tamlin and Rhysand like that, but know your place girl. I am a High Lord, and you're nothing more than a High Lord's whore."

Faster than anybody can react Aelin is behind Tarquin with a silver dagger held against his throat. "Say that again" she whispers in his ear "I am begging you."

"Aelin!" Rowan says from behind her, a warning in his voice. 

Aelin sighs and sheaths her dagger, turning to look at him. Neither of them say a word, but they seem to be having an arugument. I ignore them and turn back to Tarquin. I can feel the dark fury burning beneath Rhys' skin, but he hasn't done anything yet. He's letting me handle this however I want to. 

Tarquin is staring at Aelin, his hands almost shaking with the obvious effort of not trying to kill her where she stands, but after a moment he turns his attention back to me. I smile at him, then say "There are exactly two things that you need to know before we continue this negotiation Tarquin. Number one, I am nobody's whore. Number two, I am nobody's subject."

At that I winnow to the spot right next to Rhys. Tarquin whirls in place, trying to find me. When he finally does, his eyebrow's draw together in confusion. Rhys chuckles and says "Tarquin, allow me to introduce you to Feyre, High Lady of the Night Court."

Tarquin stares for a moment, then he bows slightly, his jaw clenched in anger. "My Lady" he says tightly. 

Before he can say anything else Cass walks in, a rectangular package in his arms. He holds it out and I take it.

As soon as the book is in my hands, pain starts shooting up and down my body. I can hear a voice in my head, a voice I have heard before. 

Hello Liar. 

I can hear Rhys calling my name, worry evident in his voice, before the pain blocks out every other feeling, and I drop to my knees.

Then I scream.

Hey everybody! Hope you liked that chapter!!

Don't forget to vote and comment below!